VOGONS

First post, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

I’ve searched high and low all over the net, and I can’t find a definitive answer on the correct chips to use to do the 128K memory upgrade on a Tandy 1000 TL/2. I bought these chips and they didn’t work…https://www.jameco.com/z/TMS4416-12NL-MB81416 … 5V_2288023.html

It seemed like the only requirement was 64K x 4 DRAM in an 18 pin DIP. But now I’m seeing that I should be looking for 4464 chips and not 4416 as linked above.

When I put the chips above into the system, it wouldn’t boot past the memory check and showed 640K during memory check. I was careful to put the notch in the right place on each chip and socket. I was also careful that each chip was seated properly .

It is possible I got a bad chip or two, but removing them from the system allowed it to boot again with no issues.

Can someone link me to the correct chip that I should be getting? I found 4464’s on eBay, but I wanted to be sure that was correct before buying again.

Thanks in advance! I really need the extra video RAM to play some of the hi-res mode games.

Reply 1 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems like you only have 4 sockets to add dram, So 4464 should be your go to to add 128K of ram. a 4416 is only 8K while a 4464 is 32K.
no further clue on what's going on. That tandy seems to be an odd beast.
I'd try two dram chips, see if it boots, if not, swap one of the two, try again... if not swap the other...

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 5, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-06-29, 20:14:

Seems like you only have 4 sockets to add dram, So 4464 should be your go to to add 128K of ram. a 4416 is only 8K while a 4464 is 32K.
no further clue on what's going on. That tandy seems to be an odd beast.
I'd try two dram chips, see if it boots, if not, swap one of the two, try again... if not swap the other...

Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned that I did try booting with two chips, and it did boot, but it only showed 640K of RAM, so I’m tempted to think that all four chips must have to be in place for the system to recognize them? It could have also been an issue that the 4 4416 chips together didn’t add up to the 128K that the system was expecting. Thanks for the ideas!

Reply 3 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what I have installed in my TL/2.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

four 4 bit x 256K and four 4 bit x 64K chips. Any you can get them will do, just four matched set each.

Great Northern aka Canada.