VOGONS

First post, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get the PS/2 port of a FIC 486-VIP-IO2 motherboard working. I started off with updating the BIOS to the latest version, confirming in MODBIN that PS/2 support was enabled and when that didn't work, I installed an external keyboard controller chip (it was using an internal controller by default). This all had zero effect. I then started measuring the components on the data and clock lines. After testing some individual components, I noticed that the resistor network that acts as a 10K pull up on a number of lines was measuring only 10 ohm for the PS/2 data line whereas the clock line was showing 10k as expected.

When I flipped the board over, I noticed a bodge resistor on the back of the board between pins 26 and 28:

Vm5DdkK.jpg

It looks quite damaged:

XKjNFrD.jpg

I read the color coding as red, black, brown, gold, which would make it a 200 ohm resistor with 5% tolerance. Reading it as brown, black, black, gold would make it a 10 Ohm resistor however (but i'm pretty sure the two bands in the middle are different colors).

MD9juJW.jpg

That still doesn't explain my 10 ohm problem even if this resistor wasn't damaged.

So that's a very long way of saying, I'm at a loss! Has anybody dealt with a problem like this before?