VOGONS

First post, by guardianali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am on the cusp of building a combo dual boot PC.
Please see my reasonings below and let me know if I am wrong or crazy about anything.

-Considering the age of the parts involved, after research, I would want a soldered chip vice paste. So stick to Sandy Bridge instead Ivy Bridge. Even though IB-E is soldered, the next point comes into play.
-Sandy bridge also has much better general support for mobo XP drivers so you dont have to 'hunt' for specific Ivy Mobos. Pretty much every SB mobo has XP support.
-Fastest Sandy Bridge may be overkill for XP and cost more, but would be much more beneficial for Windows 7.
-To get faster DDR3 support and PCIE3, go with a 2011 platform instead of 1155 (for Windows 7 benefit).

So from the above, that narrows it down to the i7-3970X. Which are only 60-100 bucks on ebay (a price I dont mind).

Can someone tell me if the above reasoning is sound?
If not, why and what your suggestion would be?

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sounds fine, except Idk what a soldered chip vice paste is? One reason I keep using XP is it seems with each new release of windows, basic features I use everyday get more and more buried and onscured behind the gui. So instead of a couple clicks to do a simple task on XP on windows 10 I have to do like 10 clicks its shit.

Reply 2 of 5, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
guardianali wrote on 2023-07-20, 02:29:

So from the above, that narrows it down to the i7-3970X. Which are only 60-100 bucks on ebay (a price I dont mind).

Can someone tell me if the above reasoning is sound?
If not, why and what your suggestion would be?

Reasonability depends entirely on what games are you going to play and at what resolution. Since that system is going to be a XP/7 dual boot you are probably going to pair a CPU like that with a GPU like a GTX 980 Ti / Titan X, which should allow you to play games like The Witcher 3 from 2015 at 1080p and lots of earlier games at high resolutions and high FPS. But all that power won't do you much if the main use is 1080p/60 with older games.

Realistically you won't be able to benefit from that 6 core CPU much, that was the time when AMD was busy digging themselves into the ground with their dozers and Intel was sitting on their ass, so games weren't using more than 4 cores. Meaning even i7 hyperthreading is kinda overkill.

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
guardianali wrote on 2023-07-23, 01:52:

Im also seeing some XP drivers and support for 1150 platform ..using it with say a i7-4790....
Which would be the better route? 2011 or 1150 for XP/Win7

Cannot say much about socket 2011 or 1150 in that regard, but heard mixed results.
I use Z68 socket 1155 with i5-3550 for such a multiboot.
Under Windows XP x86:
- The board mentions PCI express 3.0, but GPU-Z diagnoses it switching between 2.0 active and 1.1 idle mode. It should not matter, 2.0 is plenty of bandwidth already.
- The board has functional USB 3.
- The intel HD graphics of this CPU has functional 3D acceleration, in case I would want to use that.
- CPU idling is working.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul