VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-18, 06:29:

Which exact version of the host adapter do you have and do you have a terminator in the centronics connector that doesnt go to the computer?

I am not sure what I'm looking for in the connector. I figured if the device is terminated then that would work. I can get you more details on the cable or a better picture if that will help.

Reply 21 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-07-18, 06:29:

Which exact version of the host adapter do you have and do you have a terminator in the centronics connector that doesnt go to the computer?

It's an AHA 1510a, and appears to be the "dumb" variety with only one jumper area and no bios chip. I am not sure whether that connector has a terminator or not.. not sure what I'm looking for there.

Reply 22 of 36, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-18, 16:14:

I am not sure whether that connector has a terminator or not.. not sure what I'm looking for there.

The three red resistor networks below the SCSI interface are the passive terminator.

Reply 23 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried finding the ASPI2DOS.sys /X info but no luck. IMHO I think the controller is too new and you need either a Trantor 130 based, a MediaVision card or a 8bit scsi adapter with NCR80/90 or 400 chip.
Looking at the EZSCI 3x software (the 4x adds more 'new' drives, not old ones) it does not list the NEC 25 and starts with the NEC 38...which is a scsi-ii.
So maybe the problem is the Aspicd driver. Way back in early 90's they were "aspi cam" drivers not pure aspsi because the drives were not fully aspi compliant....just an observation.
added: maybe my memory is off but remember issues with a 2x scsi cdrom that did not have with a 4x...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 24 of 36, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SCSI adapter with Zilog SCSI 9221 chip should also work?

OP has a link to the Fusion CD Kit, which has an image of the Sound/SCSI board in the kit: https://web.archive.org/web/19961110145254/ht … pport/tfus8.htm

Attachments

• FusionCD.png
    Filename
    FusionCD.png
    File size
    41.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Zilog is a z53801 chip, which is same as NCR 53c80. I think they did a typo and put the date on it instead of the actual Zilog number. The PAS8, PAS16 and Studios used same scsi or equal chip.
Here is the 650-0014 picture

Attachments

• PAS Plus.jpg
    Filename
    PAS Plus.jpg
    File size
    322.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 26 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds like the options are:
- Find a SCSI-1 adapter, ideally with the Z53801/NCR 53c80 chip and driver (this seems pretty doable and not too expensive)
- Find a PAS-8 or PAS-16 with SCSI header (Also find an internal-external adapter bracket, and possibly a separate cd-rom driver) .. $$$
- Look for an ASPICD driver that works with slower drives or explicitly supports the NEC CDR-25 (or I think NEC CDR-25bj)

Reply 27 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-19, 16:04:
Sounds like the options are: - Find a SCSI-1 adapter, ideally with the Z53801/NCR 53c80 chip and driver (this seems pretty doabl […]
Show full quote

Sounds like the options are:
- Find a SCSI-1 adapter, ideally with the Z53801/NCR 53c80 chip and driver (this seems pretty doable and not too expensive)
- Find a PAS-8 or PAS-16 with SCSI header (Also find an internal-external adapter bracket, and possibly a separate cd-rom driver) .. $$$
- Look for an ASPICD driver that works with slower drives or explicitly supports the NEC CDR-25 (or I think NEC CDR-25bj)

Have you tried playing an audio cd with the program I suggested?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 29 of 36, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-07-19, 03:04:

Way back in early 90's they were "aspi cam" drivers not pure aspsi because the drives were not fully aspi compliant....just an observation.

Nah, CAM was the manufacturer-independend standard that should be used, while ASPI was a proprietary standard from Adaptec.
There were implementations of CAM found with the NCR 810 and 875 controllers. They had an aspicam wrapper to route ASPI commands to their CAM interface.
Guess who won...

Reply 30 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-19, 16:29:

Have you tried playing an audio cd with the program I suggested?

I have not, but it is on my list (: In my head, if the read functionality is broken on the device I'd see a different error, but it is worth doing.

Reply 31 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-07-19, 16:31:

Have you tried another interrupt line, like IRQ10 ?

Yes, I have tried 10 and 11 with the same result. 11 is the default recommended by the card manual.
Currently it's the only card plugged into the machine and the BIOS doesn't show those in use by anything onboard.

Reply 32 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-18, 04:55:

It's unknown to me if the software works but you could try http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/software/sjg … jgplay_dos.html to play an audio cd.
See if that works.

edit : have you tried it ?

SJGPLAY loads fine and detects the CD drive. The busy LED lights up (flickering like it's being polled or something). SJGPLAY displays "NO DISK". Scanning for drives shows the drive with the correct letter.
When I open and close the door, the CD spins for a while and then stops. Pressing "play" in SJGPLAY has no apparent effect on the drive.

The behavior is the same (except for spinning) if I just leave the door open.
Trying a different CD is the same.

Does seem like a nice CD player app for DOS 😁

Reply 33 of 36, by alphaharris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So.. my "backup" drive I ordered arrived today (always nice to have a spare). And.. it works! (It reads data CDs and plays Audio CDs).
I'm guessing there's a short somewhere on the first drive, but it's pretty low on my list to find it.

I guess I sold that 1510a short! Thanks for help and encouragement all. Hopefully this info is useful to someone in the future...

Reply 34 of 36, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alphaharris wrote on 2023-07-19, 23:11:
SJGPLAY loads fine and detects the CD drive. The busy LED lights up (flickering like it's being polled or something). SJGPLAY di […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2023-07-18, 04:55:

It's unknown to me if the software works but you could try http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/software/sjg … jgplay_dos.html to play an audio cd.
See if that works.

edit : have you tried it ?

SJGPLAY loads fine and detects the CD drive. The busy LED lights up (flickering like it's being polled or something). SJGPLAY displays "NO DISK". Scanning for drives shows the drive with the correct letter.
When I open and close the door, the CD spins for a while and then stops. Pressing "play" in SJGPLAY has no apparent effect on the drive.

The behavior is the same (except for spinning) if I just leave the door open.
Trying a different CD is the same.

Does seem like a nice CD player app for DOS 😁

I guess you could try cleaning the cd lens, see if it has any effect.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 35 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good you have it working, we all assumed the first drive worked. Is good to know that your adaptec does support the older scsi-1 cdroms.....

Reply 36 of 36, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you try the setup again but
Set the host adapter to be ID 7 and the CDROM set to ID5 with Term power on and see what happens. (Your host adapter should always have the highest priority on the SCSI bus)

Probably nothing, but I have used this card in the past and I seem to remember the cards ID was set to ID7 (which is default) and a vague memory tells me a CDROM was usually set at ID5.
I had a similar setup with a CDROM copier tower on a Pentium II system and that worked just fine But it was one ID and multiple LUNs so it might be a wild goose chase.