VOGONS

First post, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there.
Some days before i get my Ebay mail with Pentium 4 1.9GHz/256/400 for Socket 423.
I put it in my Rambus board - Gigabyte GA-8ITX3 and turn on. The program SuperPi do not want pass test correct.
Running Memtest v 2.11 detect issues. Or even just hold on.
I know that that kit of memory is fully working.
I checked this CPU in other mobo but with SDRAM. Motherboard is MSI 845 PRO V.1.0.
CPU was tested with:
* Everest v5.5.0b -CPU+FPU+Cache - 2h++ OK
* Prime 95 - 2h+ OK
*LinX0.6 - 2h+ also OK
CPU pass testes with 3DMarks01/03/05

About GA-8ITX3. It's working stable with P4 1,4GHz, P4 1.5GHz and P4 1.7GHz.
Also work great with P4 1.7GHz@1.86GHz (FSB 110 MHz)(VID mod to 1.85 because mobo decrease the cpu voltage and it falls to 1.65-1.69 at stock voltage ) and mem FSB 110.

Spoiler
image14.jpg
Filename
image14.jpg
File size
221.13 KiB
Views
File comment
P4 1.7 S423 @ 1.86
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Do you have some ideas . Or this just need to be burned ?😁

Reply 1 of 4, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the board is working fine with and passing all the tests with the other CPUs then the issue might be the Willy 1.9, now it could be the CPU itself or some issue with it on that board. I suspect the board isn't delivering enough or a stable voltage to the CPU, might be worth checking that its getting the 1.75v it needs and that its a stable voltage and not drooping. (Might be worth checking the VRM components to make sure they are still in spec)

You mention a VID mod on the 1.7 ..it may also be lowering the voltage on the 1.9.

Reply 2 of 4, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-08-08, 09:46:

If the board is working fine with and passing all the tests with the other CPUs then the issue might be the Willy 1.9, now it could be the CPU itself or some issue with it on that board. I suspect the board isn't delivering enough or a stable voltage to the CPU, might be worth checking that its getting the 1.75v it needs and that its a stable voltage and not drooping. (Might be worth checking the VRM components to make sure they are still in spec)

You mention a VID mod on the 1.7 ..it may also be lowering the voltage on the 1.9.

Hello. Thanks for idea.
I pushed my P4 1.7GHz to @1.9GHz by increasing FSB up to 112MHz.
Checked it in Memtest v2.11 . And it passed 12 hours great without any errors.
So looks like P4 1.9GHz from EBAY is a problem.🤬

Reply 3 of 4, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ApostolCV wrote on 2023-08-10, 05:09:
Hello. Thanks for idea. I pushed my P4 1.7GHz to @1.9GHz by increasing FSB up to 112MHz. Checked it in Memtest v2.11 . And it p […]
Show full quote

Hello. Thanks for idea.

Is this CPU from the seller in California (who has a big lot of them) ? They offer 30day warranty.
I hesitated a long time whether or not to replace my 1.7 with a 1.9... but shipping costs to Europe are too expensive to justify it.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 4 of 4, by ApostolCV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-08-10, 08:03:
ApostolCV wrote on 2023-08-10, 05:09:
Hello. Thanks for idea. I pushed my P4 1.7GHz to @1.9GHz by increasing FSB up to 112MHz. Checked it in Memtest v2.11 . And it p […]
Show full quote

Hello. Thanks for idea.

Is this CPU from the seller in California (who has a big lot of them) ? They offer 30day warranty.
I hesitated a long time whether or not to replace my 1.7 with a 1.9... but shipping costs to Europe are too expensive to justify it.

Yes, you are right. It's from seller from Canada (who has a big lot of this CPUs).
This shipping were costs for me about 11$ (4$ inside U.S.A and 7$ to Ukraine). It's much expensive to make experiments with shipping in both ways.
I wished to belive that problem is in not enough power delivered to CPU . But there is a fact that 1.7 @1.9GHz works great so VRM work enough to feed him.