First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello all

i know the it says this for old pc hareware but hoping someone could help

i have an old imac g3 (early 2001) model with mac os 9.2.2

i am been trying to some old games but the is one that i can not get working on imac g3
the game is are you afraid of the dark the tale of orpheo's curse

the error massage say - this macintosh does not have the extended time manager

no idea what that means

no idea if it is a os thing, machine thing, software thing or extension thing

any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Time Manager

The Time Manager provides millisecond and microsecond timing facilities for Mac OS based computers.

It was discovered that the Extended Time Manager was not drift free when used to scheduling regular interrupts for periods beyond 24 days. This condition has been corrected, and the Extended Time Manager routines are now drift free when used in this way (r. 2471974).

This is pretty much all the Mac OS 9.1 changelog says, it's part of the "System" file (is it still a "suitcase" you can add and remove extensions from? shouldn't be since OS 7...) so no real idea apart from trying a clean install (preferably of the recommended OS for that program, since at no time in history was Apple particularly notable for backwards compatibility)...

Reply 2 of 4, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ryccardo wrote on 2023-08-15, 17:28:

Time Manager

The Time Manager provides millisecond and microsecond timing facilities for Mac OS based computers.

It was discovered that the Extended Time Manager was not drift free when used to scheduling regular interrupts for periods beyond 24 days. This condition has been corrected, and the Extended Time Manager routines are now drift free when used in this way (r. 2471974).

This is pretty much all the Mac OS 9.1 changelog says, it's part of the "System" file (is it still a "suitcase" you can add and remove extensions from? shouldn't be since OS 7...) so no real idea apart from trying a clean install (preferably of the recommended OS for that program, since at no time in history was Apple particularly notable for backwards compatibility)...

thank you for help

will try a clean install and this model of g3 only goes as low as mac os 9.1

weird thing is when tried it on my ibook g4 in osx tiger "classic" mode the game runs fine

Reply 4 of 4, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2023-08-15, 19:41:

I tried that game on my beige G3 233MHz tower with OS 9.2.2 and it ran just fine. So the OS version can't be the problem.

thank you, at least is not an os issue, one ruled out 😀