VOGONS

First post, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon! I was wondering if Sound Blaster has Dos driver for Sound Blaster 16 emulation, then, should it be able to be used in Windows 3.11?

Reply 1 of 4, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-08-15, 20:45:

Good afternoon! I was wondering if Sound Blaster has Dos driver for Sound Blaster 16 emulation, then, should it be able to be used in Windows 3.11?

I never tried but I doubt Windows 3.x could utilize a sound card's legacy emulation using its default Creative driver (regardless of vendor)...

And I'm not sure how usable Audigy 2 ZS can be in DOS. The last card I know that had official support for such emulation was Audigy 1, though DOS with A2(ZS) was unofficially possible.

BTW, for Windows 3.x, someone had written drivers for other sound cards, such as AudioPCI (ES137x), AC97, and even HDA. More discussions can be found on Win3x.org. These drivers may be interesting to try.

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe but doubt it,
Modified Audigy 1 drivers exist to enable native dos support for Audigy 2
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1383&menustate=0

With these loaded anything that access the sound card resources direct (eg you specify IRQ, DMA) or via set blaster variable will work, I only know of dos programs that use this method.
I really doubt the dos drivers emulate enough of a SB16 for the windows drivers to detect and use the sound card though meaning as far as windows knows no sound card is installed.

Reply 3 of 4, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my experience with a PCI YMF744, no it's not possible without dedicated Win3.1 drivers, eventhough YMF744 emulates an SBPro2 very well. But I couldn't get it to work under Windows with the built-in SB driver nor the standard SBPro driver. Under DOS all SBPro tools work fine of course.

DOS support requires EMM386 to trap IO for YMF744 and all SB PCI cards if I'm not mistaken, and it seems Windows is bypassing that layer with its own memory management. In effect, once inside Windows, Sound Blaster emulation is completely bypassed.. So yeah.. need dedicated Win3.1 drivers for those PCI cards.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 3.1 can run in 16-Bit Protected-Mode, too, which doesn't use V86 and VXDs.
To do so, someone has to call DOSX from within Windows folder (%windir%).

C:\WINDOWS> \SYSTEM\DOSX

Not sure if that helps, though.
Anyway, in general, the supplied sound drivers do work in Standard-Mode, too.
They run on Ring-3 and are generally VM friendly.

Got them to work with some nasty virtualizers and various memory managers in the past, as well as PCI sound cards (Ensoniq Audio PCI, if I remember correctly; its native drivers were better, though).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//