VOGONS

First post, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone gave me a gateway e-5400 server, dual p3, with an adaptec ultra160 controller. My issue is all the drive rails disintegrated. I have looked all over google and ebay and cannot find replacement rails for this generation of gateways, even tried looking for 3d model of them. Can anybody help me with gateway part number or other models around this time that used the same rails, I need a couple of sets of 5.25 rails, a set of floppy rails, and 2 or 3 sets of hard drive rails. Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have better luck moving the board to a diff full ATX case that does have typical mounts instead of those rare/odd plastic sliders. Have a diff but similar and it took months to finally get 3 sets of mounts for the case.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah that would be easiest. So other than the drives and rails, is there anything else missing ? Did it come with cpu's and ram ? And PSU ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah everything there and working. 2 p3 700 MHz, 1GB ram, adaptec 29160 ultra 160 SCSI controller, 18GB SCSI drive, CD burner, and floppy. Probably upgrade the adaptec card to ultra 320 and get 146GB SCSI drive, looks like I can get both for around $20 each. Looking to install win2k on it just for fun. I already have a desktop and laptop with dos, win 3.1, win 98se, and win xp, so this is just for messing with (I also have several other retro systems, ie. Coco 2 and 3, trs-80 model 4p and a Compaq portable 1+).

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice ! if any of the rails is still intact: have seen some metal replacement ones but hard to search for, but if you have at least one good one you might be able to picture match it close.
There may be another way to "mod" the original case to secure the drives too....

Reply 6 of 6, by scottie4442

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just trying to keep it in its original case, but the case is really filthy and even though I have tried to clean it, including with baking soda and magic eraser, still looks a little dirty, so changing cases no big deal. The weird thing is the bios is all gateway 2000, very unusual. I have been working with computers since 1977 and I forgot how strange the gateway 2000 bios from the 90s was.