VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wanted to share this website i found by accident.
It's an early 2000's online computer store (In French) the content is frozen in time.
The copyright notice says "2006". The company finally closed in 2013 but the website is still online.

http://www.fabiware.com/composants-pc-c-1.html

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That price for the Voodoo 3 2000!

No wonder they're out of stock. 😁

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-08-24, 16:48:

That price for the Voodoo 3 2000!

No wonder they're out of stock. 😁

There is actually some items listed with stock.
But since the company legally shut ten years ago, I don't recommend to place an order and pay 😀

But yes, prices are insane.

Reply 5 of 10, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always wonder how sites like these stay up for so long. Did they just pre-pay for like two decades of hosting? Are they self hosting it and it just got left on running in the back of a closet somewhere?

Reply 6 of 10, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe a bank account in the shop's name with some money left in it that nobody ever bothered to close, and that still gets charged? I know that banks monitor the obituaries, but I'm not sure whether they also monitor... uh... wherever business closures are published.

Anyone wanna order a beautiful art piece modem and find out?

Reply 7 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-24, 20:58:

I always wonder how sites like these stay up for so long. Did they just pre-pay for like two decades of hosting? Are they self hosting it and it just got left on running in the back of a closet somewhere?

I work for a large hosting/cloud company and i sometime see customers still paying for their 15+ years old server. Even if new offers are way better and cheaper. Sometimes people forget about the server. Sometimes it hosts several projects with some still active. Or they keep it because it just work and don't want to migrate.

For small websites, personal pages, people often keep them for nostalgia. I personally keep the domain and website i made for guests at my wedding more than a decade ago. I still have a copy of my first web page (around 2000/2001). Proudly made with notepad/MS Frontpage at he age of 13... But not online

Reply 9 of 10, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-08-24, 16:10:
Just wanted to share this website i found by accident. It's an early 2000's online computer store (In French) the content is fro […]
Show full quote

It's an early 2000's online computer store (In French) the content is frozen in time.
The copyright notice says "2006". The company finally closed in 2013 but the website is still online.

The site seems to be plain Html, so maybe it is possible to make a backup of everything

Reply 10 of 10, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:06:
acl wrote on 2023-08-24, 16:10:
Just wanted to share this website i found by accident. It's an early 2000's online computer store (In French) the content is fro […]
Show full quote

The site seems to be plain Html, so maybe it is possible to make a backup of everything

archive.org saved multiple snapshots of it already:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120120125039/ht … ques-c-1_4.html