VOGONS

VIA VT-8321 sound on Windows 98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if that's your exact model, but it looks very similar. According to the manual, the connector from your photo should indeed be the CD line-in connector.

It really seems like the same model! Thanks!
Anyway, what kind of cable should work? From what i've seen, bigger motherboards have a proper socket, while there there's only pins.

Reply 22 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-29, 15:23:

Doesn't a regular CD audio cable fit? The pin assignment should be the same. Pin 1 is the one with the bold white line.

Well, the CD pin it's like this:
photo1693324472.jpg
So... Maybe this one will work? It shouldn't be a problem if they are both MPC2, right?
https://www.amazon.it/PremiumCord-Audio-Unive … a/dp/B0849PZDFK

Reply 23 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe this will work, the connection seems to be 2.54mm hole pitch. Strictly speaking, you would need a MPC2 to 4-pin dupont female cable, because the motherboard does not have a socket. Or use a 4-pin female-to-female dupont cable, should be the cheapest option.

Reply 24 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-29, 16:53:

I believe this will work, the connection seems to be 2.54mm hole pitch. Strictly speaking, you would need a MPC2 to 4-pin dupont female cable, because the motherboard does not have a socket. Or use a 4-pin female-to-female dupont cable, should be the cheapest option.

https://www.amazon.it/Jopto-DuPont-Femmina-Co … +pin+cd&sr=8-11
Should this one work? Also, the MPC2 has some kind of latch in the center. Wouldn't a simple dupont be kind of loosy on the CD reader?
Also, i don't think there are MCP2 to 4 pin dupont cables, from what i saw.
I'll see what i can do, anyway.

Reply 25 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, the cables female-to-female dupont arrived, but... They don't fit inside the motherboard, because the pins are less distant.
photo1693477175.jpg
photo1693477175-2.jpg
photo1693477175-1.jpg

From what i've gathered, a Sound Blaster to DMC2 Cable is needed, or something like this? If i'm not wrong. I should have checked better, but i didn't noticed the pins were less distant.

Reply 26 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn, that sucks. Sorry for giving you wrong advice. Yes it could be one of the smaller sound card connectors, they usually have a white socket around them, but apparently not here. Can you return the cable?

The sound card connector should be 2mm hole pitch. Use a ruler to measure the distance between the 4 pins on your motherboard, it should be 6mm from the center of the 1st pin to the center of the 4th pin.

Edit: The manual lists the connector's pin assignment as L-G-G-R, which corresponds to MPC. But the sound card connector would be O-L-G-R, so this can't be it. Also, it has a protuding plastic edge that is supposed to go into the white socket, but as your board does not have the socket, it would probably not be able to go all the way in. Seems that this is not the right type of connector either.

Reply 27 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-31, 11:33:

Damn, that sucks. Sorry for giving you wrong advice. Yes it could be one of the smaller sound card connectors, they usually have a white socket around them, but apparently not here. Can you return the cable?

No worries, i can get a refund with no problems.

The sound card connector should be 2mm hole pitch. Use a ruler to measure the distance between the 4 pins on your motherboard, it should be 6mm from the center of the 1st pin to the center of the 4th pin.

Measured it right now. I'ts 6mm as you said. 2mm between each pin.

Edit: The manual lists the connector's pin assignment as L-G-G-R, which corresponds to MPC2. And the sound card connector would be O-L-G-R, so this can't be it.

What do you mean? I don't understand, does that mean that the Soundblaster-to-MPC2 cable shouldn't work?

Edit: Couldn't there be an adapter which can enter the pins, but on the other side it becomes 2.54mm new holes?
Also, i've found this post on another discussion, and it talks about smaller connectors? Could it be the same with me?
Re: CD - Sound Card connector wire colours and pins...

Last edited by SavageKurtain on 2023-08-31, 12:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it will not work. You would at least have to re-wire it to L-G-G-R. The wires would have to be removed from the connector and reattached in the correct order, and also there is one ground wire missing, two are expected. Also that would be very strange, the buyer of a motherboard can not be expected to re-wire connectors, and the board does not have the correct socket, so I don't think this is the right connector. I wonder if the retail box of this motherboard came with an audio cable.

Reply 29 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-31, 12:42:

Also that would be very strange, the buyer of a motherboard can not be expected to re-wire connectors, and the board does not have the correct socket, so I don't think this is the right connector. I wonder if the retail box of this motherboard came with an audio cable.

Don't know if it did, because i took it from a junkyard, somekind of flea market, and let me tell you... In the begin it didn't even had a CD reader and neither a mouse. There was only PC and Hard Disk.
So... It seems that there is no solution for it?

Reply 31 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good idea. Can you try to unclip one cable from the 2.54mm connector and insert it into the 2mm housing? Does it fit or is it too big? Edit: I just tried to insert a 2.54mm female dupont pin into a 2mm sound card header. The pin is too big, it can be put on but does not make proper contact and falls out again.

A dirty solution would be to buy the MCP to soundblaster cable, and then re-wire the white connector from N-L-G-R to L-N-G-R (you can unclip the wires using a thin needle, and then re-insert it at the new position).

Reply 32 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-31, 13:24:

Good idea. Can you try to unclip one cable from the 2.54mm connector and insert it into the 2mm housing? Does it fit or is it too big? Edit: I just tried to insert a 2.54mm female dupont pin into a 2mm sound card header. The pin is too big, it can be put on but does not make proper contact and falls out again.

A dirty solution would be to buy the MCP to soundblaster cable, and then re-wire the white connector from N-L-G-R to L-N-G-R (you can unclip the wires using a thin needle, and then re-insert it at the new position).

The idea of rewiring Soundblaster shouldn't work, because it still has 2,54 mm distance, if i'm not wrong.
Anyway, i've found this:
Dupont Wire Assortment Kit for Breadboard Protype Board Male to Male, Male to Female, Female to Female, 2.54mm to 2.0mm, 2.0mm to 2.0mm Length 20cm
Could this work? Also, you can extend it, right?

Reply 33 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The soundblaster connector has 2mm hole pitch, the same as your motherboard. It should fit, but it could be that you cannot push it down fully, because it has the protuding plastic part that is supposed to go into the socket.

About the dupont 2.54 to 2.0mm, I don't know if the pins from the 2mm Dupont connector are really smaller, or if it's just the plastic housing that is smaller. I don't have a 2mm hole pitch Dupont connector, so sadly I don't know.

But I found these two datasheets:
https://www.sconect.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … 543T.pdf?x78740
https://www.sconect.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … 015T.pdf?x78740

If I understand these correctly, the first one is for a 2.54 connector, the second one is for a 2.00 connector, and apparently the 2.54 connector is 1.6mm wide, and the 2.00 connector is 1.3mm wide, so it should be smaller.

Reply 34 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-31, 15:38:
The soundblaster connector has 2mm hole pitch, the same as your motherboard. It should fit, but it could be that you cannot push […]
Show full quote

The soundblaster connector has 2mm hole pitch, the same as your motherboard. It should fit, but it could be that you cannot push it down fully, because it has the protuding plastic part that is supposed to go into the socket.

About the dupont 2.54 to 2.0mm, I don't know if the pins from the 2mm Dupont connector are really smaller, or if it's just the plastic housing that is smaller. I don't have a 2mm hole pitch Dupont connector, so sadly I don't know.

But I found these two datasheets:
https://www.sconect.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … 543T.pdf?x78740
https://www.sconect.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … 015T.pdf?x78740

If I understand these correctly, the first one is for a 2.54 connector, the second one is for a 2.00 connector, and apparently the 2.54 connector is 1.6mm wide, and the 2.00 connector is 1.3mm wide, so it should be smaller.

So... Can i do it? Are we sure now that it works, or... Well, i could find a Soundblaster cable, but the shipping costs are very high, sadly. I live in Italy, and most of those cables are either from UK or USA.

Reply 35 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your motherboard header fits the JST-PH specs (pin distance is 2mm and the pin diameter is 0.7mm), it should fit. But impossible for me to guarantee it will work, unless I have the same motherboard and tried it.

I found this one, which also has the cables correctly wired (L-N-G-R): https://www.ebay.com/itm/195710390609

If the shipping prices are too expensive, don't you have something like Craigslist in Italy?

Reply 36 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2023-08-31, 17:37:

If your motherboard header fits the JST-PH specs (pin distance is 2mm and the pin diameter is 0.7mm), it should fit. But impossible for me to guarantee it will work, unless I have the same motherboard and tried it.

I found this one, which also has the cables correctly wired (L-N-G-R): https://www.ebay.com/itm/195710390609

If the shipping prices are too expensive, don't you have something like Craigslist in Italy?

This one isn't so expensive, and no, i don't think we have the equivalent of Craiglist here in Italy.
If those cables don't work (and i've already bought them), then i will buy this one. Thanks!

Reply 38 of 90, by SavageKurtain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, the cables arrived, a set of cables which has a begin with 2.54mm and then an end with 2mm, but...
photo1693667470-2.jpg
The 2mm is divided in two end, 2x2, and they both have a positive side (indicated with arrow) and negative one.

Meanwhile the 2.54mm have no polarization.
photo1693667470-1.jpg
photo1693667470.jpg

Here's a video that shows it better:
https://streamable.com/9sd1as

What do i do? Is it no problem if i connect them like this (^-^-) or do i have to turn one and make it ^--^?

Edit: on the other side of the arrow, where the negative is placed, there's LHE written on it.

Reply 39 of 90, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These cables are single pole, they have no polarity. Any markings and colors are just a guide to help you connect each pin to its matching other end. The connector on your motherboard and on your CD drive is L-G-G-R, and the color coding is usually:

Left channel=White
Right channel=Red
Ground=Black

Because your cables have random colors, you cannot use this color coding, but for functionality, this doesn't matter. It does not matter which side you turn the 2x connectors, they just have to connect each motherboard pin to the corresponding pins on your CD drive.