VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wanting to play with my Mac SE/30 lately, and I have several old dot-matrix printers sitting around.
It occurred to me that it might be fun to play around with some early Desktop Publishing.

But, all my vintage printers are parallel... how would I connect a Mac SE/30 to them? Can it even be done at all?

Also, I've never had a laser printer, but wanted one. I kept waiting for prices to come down, then color lasers came out, and I waited for the price to come down again.

But I've been seeing at Walmart and elsewhere these cute little cheap laser printers; maybe about the size of the Mac itself.
I know the SE/30 is a bit early for laser technology, but I was wondering if there was a way to connect it to one of these modern small, b/w laser printers, for a vaguely "authentic" DTP experience?

They almost certain connect via USB or wifi... is there some kind of mac serial to usb converter out there?

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only ways I can think of is find a printer with Serial port input or Network a printer. There are some good Google returns on Mac SE/30 and networked printers.......
The printer in either case must support Postscript... sorry is all I know.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, I would suggest asking for help on a vintage Mac forum instead...

Second, back in the day, there were people who sold Mac serial to parallel adapters along with Mac drivers for a range of printers you might want to use. I remember reading about those in Mac magazines in the early 1990s - you had the people who made Mac-friendly printers (the Apple printers, the HP "DeskWriters", etc) which shipped with serial and/or AppleTalk interfaces and Mac drivers, then you had the people who sold ways to use various PC world printers. HP also sold cards that you could put into their LaserJets for Mac compatibility - I remember, for example, they had a 4M which was a 4 with an extra card that added PostScript and... some form of connectivity for Macs, either serial, LocalTalk or EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet).

This would all change with the adoption of Ethernet and, more importantly, USB in the late 1990s. Suddenly people like Epson and Canon who had never sold a Mac-compatible printer started to throw in Mac drivers for their combo USB/parallel printers. This is what caused Steve Jobs to kill the StyleWriter/LaserWriter Apple printer lineup - before then, the StyleWriters were basically rebadged Canon inkjets with Mac serial interfaces and Mac drivers. (Note to nitpitckers - I believe there were also one or two StyleWriters that were HPs, not Canons). But... you know, this is the pre-USB world where the computer store had a big section of "PC compatible" peripherals and a small section of "Mac compatible" peripherals and not only were the products in both sections different, they were often made by different manufacturers. There's a reason people like my dad were abandoning the Mac in the dark era of the mid-1990s, and those stores with 10% Mac peripherals/software and 90% "PC compatible" peripherals/software were a big reason.

The SE/30 is not "early" for laser technology - if you find a LaserWriter II, some LocalTalk/PhoneNet adapters (other than the Personal LaserWriters and maybe some of the LaserWriter Selects, all the other LaserWriters connect via LocalTalk, not direct serial), etc, you will have a great laser printing experience that would have cost... a LOT of money back in the day. Keep in mind a laser printer was like $4500-7000USD in the late 1980s. By the early 1990s, that was changing, but something like a LaserWriter Select 300 in 1993 was still $800USD. Affordable laser printers only became a thing in the early 2000s.

With something else, well, the problem you run into is networking protocols. An SE/30 will print to a PostScript printer no problem, but I don't know if you can print to a PostScript printer over IP in System 7. Newest MacOS for an SE/30 is 7.5.x, and that predates the widespread adoption of TCP/IP. You might have better luck with 9; I've never really tried to get my vintage Macs playing with a modernish networked printer on 9. And good luck finding a laser printer that supports AppleTalk, either over LocalTalk or EtherTalk (Apple's Ethernet implementation), today. Maybe, maybe you can find one of HP's Apple-friendly cards for their printers.

As for directly connecting a parallel printer, well, who knows whether a Mac serial to parallel kit with a wide array of drivers is available today on eBay - I feel like it's one of those things that's either plentiful or unobtainium, though you might be able to get the software from Macintosh Garden or similar.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good write up VivienM !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you'll need to get the machine hooked up to Ethernet and then set up a NetBSD (because of retaining the AppleTalk protocol) VM running netatalk as a bridge machine. While you're at it you can set up a file share to get files to/from the machine. Ideally the laser printer supports PostScript--at this point the very bottom feeder models may be only WinPrinters but anything business-oriented should--but if not you'd use Ghostscript to convert to the printer's native format. Linux users had to deal with this conversion before CUPS started to hide it behind the scenes

Reply 5 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If an ethernet network already exists.. DOS PCs can technically participate AppleTalk/AFP networks and printer sharing. An NE2000 can do magic here. There's an fascinating article about it (tip: please read carefully). 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 6, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Win2000 has full file and print services for macintosh.

https://networkencyclopedia.com/file-and-prin … -macintosh-fsm/

It can work either with a mac that can do ethertalk, or with a mac doing localtalk and an asante bridge.

Services for macintosh just lies, and advertises stylewriter/laserwriter/imagewriter being shared, when it really just uses the windows driver as the back-end.

I've used it successfully with basilisk II and it's network driver.

System 7.5.5 has open-transport tcp, and can allow an ethertalk equipped mac to participate in a tcp network.

Assante bridges port localtalk packets out as appletalk packets on an ethernet segment, and will work fine, if a bit slowly.