VOGONS

First post, by Astralix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

We are restoring a Rohde & Schwarz PSM7 based on an intel 486DX ISA board. The board has some brutal corrosion around the battery and the crystal was corroded too. There are no manuals around the keyboard controller so we have to guess the value of the crystal. I too have the same board, but the frequeency is not the question, but the capacitive load.

There are types from 6pF up to 12.5pF available, what is the right one?

The crystal is connected to the chip with 2x 4.7nF in series to ground and 1kR. But type code on the crystal and no application note for the MEGA-KB-H-WP.

Thanks for any help!
Astralix

Reply 1 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Standard 12MHz crystal for keyboard controller ICs (40 pin) IIRC, most of them are based on clones or Intel 8042 microcontroller IC with different firmwares but they tend to work on most boards with any of compatible keyboard controllers.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 5, by Astralix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, my fault!

I thought the RTC was part of it, but the 12MHz crystal is still in perfect condition. We need to trace down, where the RTC crystal is routet to. I could not find any datasheets for the chpset...
SAMSUNG KS83C206
OPTi 82C392
OPTi 82C493
I could not identify any separate RTC / BIOS RAM chip. Still possible, that it is integrated in that MEGA-KB-H-WP keyboard controller and both crystals are routed to it. Need to beep it out, as on the photos no traces are visible from the little crystal.

A little progress is made in cleaning and re-routing broken traces, but the board still does 6x beep, so Gate A20 function is still defective.

Reply 4 of 5, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some datasheet goodness for the Chipset:

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/opti/data … pset_199108.pdf

I noticed a lot of even the big-name motherboards of the era are pretty much identical to the suggested build in those manuals.

Hope that helps!