VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The board I use does not support WB, can I use the enhanced CPU in WT mode and still use L1 16K size?

Otherwise, I'm forced to use intel DX4 which is WT with 16K L1. Second quesetion: Can Intel 486DX4 100 overclock to 120MHz?

Thank you and cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 4, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe that any 486 that uses WB can also use WT. WT would make it slightly slower in some use cases though.

As for whether an Intel DX100 can run at 120, that would have to be tested. Some will and some won't (the same as overclocking a modern CPU, some are very good, some aren't). If you are very lucky, it might even run at 150 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-01, 16:07:

The board I use does not support WB, can I use the enhanced CPU in WT mode and still use L1 16K size?

No issue with that. Just use the recommended jumper settings for an Intel DX4 100, and raise the FSB clock from 33MHz to 40MHz. The enhanced DX4 processors (applies to Intel, AMD and Cyrix, including both kinds of 5x86) are built in a way that on a mainboard that doesn't support L1WB, they automatically use the classic WT mode.

Reply 4 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-01, 16:07:

Otherwise, I'm forced to use intel DX4 which is WT with 16K L1. Second quesetion: Can Intel 486DX4 100 overclock to 120MHz?

Thank you and cheers,

Yes, you can.
But the performance loss will increase with the multiplier settled.
It is likely that 40x3 performs better than a 33x4 when having faster write access to the L2 cache then.
With some luck in a overclocking setting 50x3 is better than 40x4.

Since I've never had an Intel DX4 i cannot answer your second question.