VOGONS

First post, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've bought some Socket A motherboard into my collection which came with preinstalled CPU and a cooler as a bonus. And oh boy it was something. Some enlightened person installed that cooler backwards, ignoring socket elevation, without any thermal paste and proper contact, completely trashing the crystal. Yet somehow the CPU in question worked for Flying Spaghetti Monster knows how long.

The victim:

Scuffed Athlon Thundebird 1333.jpg
Filename
Scuffed Athlon Thundebird 1333.jpg
File size
754.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Athlon Thunderbird 1333, unlocked multiplier, etc. That's the worst I have seen personally. Works stable though, even after such brutal torture.

So what's your personal worst experience with brutally scuffed, but yet somehow working CPU/GPU? Post photos here, if you can, so we could collectively cringe and facepalm.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm surprised that cpu still works. I received this from a seller:

2HXs9f0l.jpg

Its was dead on arrival, I'm guessing from the massively chipped edge at the top of the die but I cant say for sure. ( I say massively but it looks minor compared to yours )

I notified the seller that it was dead and they didnt offer me a 100% refund but a 80% refund instead. I could have made a claim for a 100% refund but instead decided to take the small hit and accept. It was fairly cheap at around $15 USD and the seller paid shipping so instead of making them accept the the claim and have them pay the return shipping and 100% refund I took the $3 loss and kept it for a piece of desk art. Seemed mean to get all my $$ back and make them pay for 2x shipping, I cut them a break.

Reply 4 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's interesting how the Socket A K7s can handle some chips off the sides. I guess they designed it with, shall we call it, ablative armor hehe.

A delidded K6 is very easy to kill.

Reply 5 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience K7 were also easy to kill with smallest of chips/cracks. Golden Orb type of coolers were the worst, or people reusing 370 cooler and as in OPs case clipping it wrong way around.

Coppermines on the other hand somehow had much harder die. Must have been somehow treated in the fab to make it tougher.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 9, by bartonxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ol' Betsy's my worst CPU. Second worst is a low-end Spitfire with pitting but that might be from the manufacturer. Betsy has real war wounds, they sparkle if I get her in the right light.

With all the crazy people there's probably some interesting stories around some of the chipped GPUs.

chipped.jpg
Filename
chipped.jpg
File size
86.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
chipped2.jpg
Filename
chipped2.jpg
File size
85.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 9, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Duron running for years with a chipped edge, and some Athlon XPS dying instantly as soon as an edge was broken. Let’s say that the exposed core design isn’t very well suited for end-users. No wonder we wnt back to IHS designs later.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 8 of 9, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately dead, but found this poor Athlon 1133 when I was searching for a test Duron for my recent K7S5A, enough to update its BIOS.

file.php?mode=view&id=183413

I am fairly sure I should be given the maximum punishment for this 🤣

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 9 of 9, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-10, 02:30:

Coppermines on the other hand somehow had much harder die. Must have been somehow treated in the fab to make it tougher.

I've seen an awful lot of chipped Thunderbird/Spitfire chips but somewhat fewer damaged Palominos/Tbreds/Bartons. My hypothesis is that the stiff ceramic base of the earlier models may have to do something with the higher failure rate.

Though Coppermines seem to be even better. Hmmm...

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts