VOGONS

First post, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt it, but by any chance does anyone know or have mirror of "linux.terratec.de"? more specifically, I am looking for any of the following files:

http://linux.terratec.de/files/ame_linux.tgz

http://linux.terratec.de/files/Grabster_AV_150/ame_linux.tgz

http://linux.terratec.de/files/Grabster_Serie … 2/ame_linux.tgz

because what is currently included in the Linux kernel doesn't work properly for me. So, the above is the original TerraTec driver, but it looks unfortunately it's lost forever...

Reply 2 of 8, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2023-09-15, 18:43:

According the info on LinuxTV, what you have linked to is the original source code for the drivers. https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Trident_TM6000

yes, exactly, but unfortunatelly all those links are dead - that's my problem. So, the original TM6000 Linux driver source code made by Terratec is lost and what ended up inside the Linux kernel has nothing to do with that Terratec source code and in fact it's so bad that it doesn't work properly with the Terratec device at all. So, long story short - the original driver source code (that Terrarec released) seems completely lost and the source code inside the Linux kernel is no good - at least no good for the Terratec device. so, yeah, unless someone kept that "ema_linux.tgz" released by Terratec, there is no any hope for Terratec TM6000-based device working in Linux.

Reply 3 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you misread the Terratec website. According to those links: "The above drivers for Linux are developed by third parties. TerraTec Electronic GmbH can therefore not guarantee smooth operation and still does not provide technical support for these drivers" so

the original TM6000 Linux driver source code made by Terratec is lost

is incorrect ! They just included files others worked on, they did not make the source code.....
Vetz posted a good link to info and for more searching , did you search out any of the other manufactures on that page using same Trident TM6000 ?
added: Will look around for the files but are you sure you can compile a driver better than those that have already worked on it ? Just curious.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 8, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Horun: you're both correct and not! Let me elaborate - why:

So, what Terratec published on now long defunct website "linux.terratec.de" is not technically driver made by them, but by the Taiwanese company manufacturing the device for them - I don't know if that company still exists, but back then their website was "www.ame-group.com" - hence why the file published on the Terratec website is named "ame_linux.tgz".

If you look at Archived copies of "linux.terratec.de" (unfortunately those copies did not archived the file in question "ame_linux.tgz"), 2 things become clear:

1) when Terratec is not the publisher of the driver (i.e. it's not made by them or any of their OEM companies manufacturing the device for them), then they just put a link to the 3rd party website, open-source driver project page, forum, etc. where the driver is located

2) when Terratec or their OEM company manufacturing the device is releasing a driver they made, then Terratec hosted it to "linux.terratec.de" exclusively.

further more, what I am calling the original Terratec driver "ame_linux.tgz" is released earlier than the not working (for me) LinuxTV driver to which @vetz pointed out and gave a link to.

So, in very short there are 2 drivers:

a) "ame_linux.tgz" - currently lost, made by "www.ame-group.com" for Terratec, relased by Terratec on "linux.terratec.de", called by me "the original Terratec driver".

b) what @vetz linked to, i.e. "community"-developed open-source driver for TM6000, not properly working with my Terratec device, in fact not working at all.

I have very little hopes the "ame_linux.tgz" will surface, but without it, then at least Terratec TM6000 devices are just paperweight if you want to use them in Linux.

Last edited by mattw on 2023-09-16, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2023-09-16, 09:54:

Could it be an idea to contact the people who worked on it in the past on the LinuxTV page? Their email is mentioned. One of them could still have the files.

it's an idea, but bothering people directly with emails - I don't know plus it's like 15 years later - offline copies i think would be very hard for any of them to dig up and why they just didn't put copy of "ame_linux.tgz" to the Wiki page in the first place, i.e. mirroring the file? also, I can track down easily through archived copies of LinuxTV mailing lists, on what device each of those guys worked - so it seems they all worked mainly on TM6010 devices. So, I guess what happened back then is that LinuxTV driver was made primary for TM6010 and it seems no one really bothered to make it work properly with TM6000...

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

have you searched drivers/media/usb/tm6000/tm6000-cards.c ?
There are lots of entries, you might find some original source info.....
it seems odd that terratec did not include those linux files in their regular ftp but on a subdomain, the ftp mirrors have nothing linux related afaik....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 8, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-09-16, 12:45:

have you searched drivers/media/usb/tm6000/tm6000-cards.c ?
There are lots of entries, you might find some original source info.....

the device is there, but as I said it's not working. so, as I see it, that entry there is like "placeholder" for future fixing/debugging and adding of a real support.

Horun wrote on 2023-09-16, 12:45:

it seems odd that terratec did not include those linux files in their regular ftp but on a subdomain, the ftp mirrors have nothing linux related afaik....

yes and I think they did that, because they were not sure about the Copyright/Intellectual Property rights of those Linux drivers made by their OEM manufacturers.

Anyway, apparently Terratec TM6000-based devices cannot be saved for use in Linux, i.e. they are now electronic scrap due to the lost drivers.