VOGONS

First post, by gab486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to load a bunch of old dos games to a CD using win10. But I cannot access some dirs under my dos machine saying 'Invalid directory'.
What I tried so far:
1. Burn a cd normally keeping long dir names with all of my dirs (147).
2. Coverting long dir names to 8.3 format using dosbox and dos navigator (single copy of my original dirs to an another directory). This way long dir names are stripped and shown as 8.3 under windows. Burn the disc.
3. Reducing the number of dirs using subdirectories containing 50 directories each and keeping 8.3 format. Burn the disc.

Still cannot access some of them under dos.

What can I think of:

1. The directory names are somehow messed up because under windows they shown as correct 8.3 format. For example in windows is shown correctly as ADVENT~1 but is shown as ADVENT_1 under dos which is weird. So like the rest of them.
But I can access ADVANT_1 under dos, while can't access ADVENT_1 and all the rest starting with ADVENT_. (see pics) Directories starting with ADVEN_ are all accessible (like ADVEN_10, _11 and so on). Under windows all dirs can be accessed.

2. Try another cdrom driver. Currently I use WCD in config.sys as follows:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\UTIL\WCD.SYS /D:WP_CDROM
Mscdex setting in autoexec.bat:
LH C:\UTIL\CD\MSCDEX.EXE /D:WP_CDROM /M:15 /E /L:D

3. Some setting I'm not aware from config.sys/autoexec.bat.

Bios cannot let me set the drive as CDROM so it left as NONE.

Can you guess what's getting messed up? Sorry for the long post and thanks.

Attachments

• windirs.jpg
    Filename
    windirs.jpg
    File size
    3.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    directories under windows
    File license
    Public domain
  • dosdirs.jpg
    Filename
    dosdirs.jpg
    File size
    32.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    directories under dos
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It'll be to do with the various standards for filenames on CDs over the years. I bet the root problem is that DOS wants the most basic version, but w10 burns the most recent version.

Incomprehensible terms like Rock Ridge might come up. This is fun 😀

What burning software are you using? Not that I can help, I stuck with Nero5 when 6 came out because 6 was all wizards. And I've been on Linux for years now, in K3b doing this might be easy, as it probably was in Nero 5.

Anyway.... (FX:googling) First hit, some place called Vogons? Anyway, try this Burning CD's for DOS ?

(also, lost my bet, looks like DOS can do some greater than minimal filename stuff)

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MSCDEX supports High Sierra, ISO9660, CD-i and some Japanese formats, as far as I know.
Joliet is ignored, I think, unless Windows 9x is running (an 90s era CD-ROM usually was ISO 9660+Joliet).

Btw, there's a neat bundle called "Multimedia Cloaking" by Helix Software.
It comes with special variants of MSCDEX, Smart Drive and a Logitech Mouse Driver.

They're special in sofar as they can run past the 1 MB barrier.
Using them reduces memory footprint, without requiring to use UMBs.

That way, the CD-ROM driver doesn't need to be loaded high (can cause compatibility issues sometimes, especially if DMA is involved).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Imgburn is free and you can "write" from files/folders from disk and burn it (top right icon). It also lets you set Option things (like Nero) for Data Mode1/2048, ISO19660+Juliet. It also under Advanced > Restrictions allows you to set the ISO19660 and Juliet (and UDF) properties for proper file naming, char set and other important things I have never found using Win7 thru 10 built in cd burner.... just a thought. edit: fixed my boo-booo

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun