VOGONS

First post, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an AWE32 the other with a ugly dent. Could that cause problems?
Win98 did not detect the card on the first mainboard I tried…Not very promising

Attachments

• IMG_5440.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oscillator crystals has space inside and dent does not affect the function. Unless it was broken.

Inspect rest of the sound card for bad solder joints especially the fine pitch SMD ICs. And anything touching together need to be separated carefully with a razor.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any physical damage to component is usually not a good sign. It's possible the dented crystal has been damaged internally. I would also inspect for other physical damage because if the card has seen some impacts strong enough to dent a crystal, there could be other damage as well.

Do you have a multimeter to test for things like shorts and continuity?

Sometimes it can be as simple narrowing down to a single faulty component and then replacing that component.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that AWE32 is a non-PNP model, Windows would not detect it by default. You would have to manually install it using the "Add New Hardware" wizard.

I suggest trying Creative's DIAGNOSE.EXE in pure DOS first, to see if it can detect the AWE32. If it can't, then your card might be damaged.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 11, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-12, 18:45:

If that AWE32 is a non-PNP model, Windows would not detect it by default. You would have to manually install it using the "Add New Hardware" wizard.

And if the AWE32 is a PNP model and Windows doesn't detect it, the PnP information may be damaged. There are two helpful threads here on VOGONs that contain the required information, tools and data to re-flash the PnP information.

Reply 8 of 11, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I swapped the mainboard because I got the feeling the soundcard wasn‘t sitting well in it‘s slot. This board (GA-6BXC with PIII-550) works for sure so that’s one error source I can exclude.
Oh, and I tried the Add new hardware function in Win98 and selected the SB16 / AWE32 but obviously nothing was found.

I‘ll try the AWE with this gigabyte board after work.

Reply 9 of 11, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kouwes wrote on 2023-10-13, 05:36:

and I tried the Add new hardware function in Win98

IMHO, best is to do the simplest possible test - and that's in DOS:

Re: The Soundblaster DSP project

and you can skip the step0 - as you don't need to short any pins in your case.

Reply 11 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mattw wrote on 2023-10-12, 23:32:

I have one PCI sound card, which was hit on the crystal - it was broken, I mean replacing it - make the card working again. so, in this case - nothing is for sure.

Yeah, it's a case of, the crystal has plenty of room in there, and damage at about a less than a third of the dimension is unlikely to have contacted it, BUT a shock impact that caused a dent like that, vs maybe a weight/pressure dent, could have shocked the crystal enough to crack it or dislodge it's internal connections.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.