VOGONS

Reply 100 of 233, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AUO G213UAN01.0 (or more likely a higher end variant thereof, based on gamut specs) looks like it might be the panel that is used .

It has 1800:1 contrast in specs, which is suspiciously high for a non-LG panel.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 101 of 233, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-09, 02:16:

It's not targeted for average Joe to begin with. But at least it has IPS Black, probably with ATW polariser.

I do not think it is an ips black, those have typically 2000:1 contrast.

Anyway it would be an ideal dos display:
* 4:3
* modern ips with led backlight
* nearest neighbor filter
* 1200p for 400p resolution
* has vga input (upto 75hz)
* flickerfree backlight

The only missing thing is the native 60hz panel, so the 70hz scroll wont be smooth.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 102 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-09, 06:01:

The AUO G213UAN01.0 (or more likely a higher end variant thereof, based on gamut specs) looks like it might be the panel that is used .

It has 1800:1 contrast in specs, which is suspiciously high for a non-LG panel.

Looking more closely, SRGB vs SRGB gamut matches as does the 1800:1 contrast ratio.
BUT, Eizo says it's using an IPS panel whereas that AUO one is a VA variant (according to those documents, one or both of which could be wrong)
Response times do not match (6ms vs 8ms), but I'm guessing that could be down to overdrive and/or calculation/measurement methodology

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/flexscan/s2134/#tab02

Type	IPS
Backlight LED
Size 21.3" (54 cm)
Native Resolution 1600 x 1200 (4:3 aspect ratio)
Viewable Image Size (H x V) 432 x 324 mm
Pixel Pitch (H x V) 0.270 x 0.270 mm
Pixel Density 94 ppi
Display Colors 16.77 million
Viewing Angles (H / V, typical) 178° / 178°
Brightness (typical) 500 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio (typical) 1800:1
Response Time (typical) 6 ms (gray-to-gray)
Color Gamut (typical) sRGB

versus

https://www.panelook.com/G213UAN01.0_AUO_21.3 … eter_54751.html

AUO G213UAN01.0 Optical Details
Basic Information :Luminance500 cd/m² (Typ.)Contrast Ratio1800:1 (Typ.) (Transmissive) Good View atSymmetryResponse Speed8/8 (Typ.)(Tr/Td) msViewing Angle89/89/89/89 (Typ.)(CR≥10)Operating ModeAHVA, Normally Black, Transmissive
Color Performance :ChromaticityWx:0.299; Wy:0.315Support Color16.7M (8-bit)Color Temperature7502KWhite Variation1.18/1.25 (Typ./Max.)(9 points) White Variation = Maximum / Minimum
1931 Color Gamut :NTSC Ratio79%sRGB99% coverageAdobe RGB77% coverageDCI-P382% coverageRec.202059% coverageRemarkssRGB (Rec.709, BT.709), Rec.2020 (BT.2020)

Reply 103 of 233, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AUO one is a VA variant

No, it's IPS in all but name, just like Samsung PLS was. Most sites classify AUO AHVA panels as IPS too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 104 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-11-09, 05:46:
Us retro folks are defeinitely not in the target market for a new Eizo 4:3 monitor . […]
Show full quote

Us retro folks are defeinitely not in the target market for a new Eizo 4:3 monitor .

However, Eizo is sourcing those 4:3 panels from somewhere, which means that some other company might come to market with a similar but lower cost model using the same or similar panels.
Of course, it is possible that Eizo has those 4:3 panels custom manufactured for its exclusive use .

EDIT: The AUO G213UAN01.0 (or more likely a higher end variant thereof, based on gamut specs) looks like it might be the panel that is used .

Eizo are a manufacturing company. Their production plant is in Japan.

Reply 105 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-10, 16:55:
Us retro folks are defeinitely not in the target market for a new Eizo 4:3 monitor . […]
Show full quote

Us retro folks are defeinitely not in the target market for a new Eizo 4:3 monitor .

However, Eizo is sourcing those 4:3 panels from somewhere, which means that some other company might come to market with a similar but lower cost model using the same or similar panels.
Of course, it is possible that Eizo has those 4:3 panels custom manufactured for its exclusive use .

EDIT: The AUO G213UAN01.0 (or more likely a higher end variant thereof, based on gamut specs) looks like it might be the panel that is used .

Do you mean to imply that Eizo being a Japanese company and probably manufacturing these monitors in Japan implies that the actual LCD panels are necessarily sourced from a Japanese company and/or manufactured in Japan ?

Or do you mean to imply that Eizo manufactures LCD panels itself rather than source them from a supplier ?

Reply 106 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-11-10, 17:11:
Show full quote

Do you mean to imply that Eizo being a Japanese company and probably manufacturing these monitors in Japan implies that the actual LCD panels are necessarily sourced from a Japanese company and/or manufactured in Japan ?

Or do you mean to imply that Eizo manufactures LCD panels itself rather than source them from a supplier ?

I mean Eizo is a manufacturing company, they produce their own panels in Japan so I dont immediately jump to the conclusion that another company made the panels for them and/or that some other company will also offer up a new production 4:3 aspect monitor for sale.

It is possible of course, but Eizo is proud of its reputation in the market and the fact that it produces its own panels...
Or do you know that they are made by another company and assembled by Eizo?
Unless they dont make them anymore. Thinks might have changed and I didnt notice.

Reply 107 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-10, 18:19:
I mean Eizo is a manufacturing company, they produce their own panels in Japan so I dont immediately jump to the conclusion that […]
Show full quote

I mean Eizo is a manufacturing company, they produce their own panels in Japan so I dont immediately jump to the conclusion that another company made the panels for them and/or that some other company will also offer up a new production 4:3 aspect monitor for sale.

It is possible of course, but Eizo is proud of its reputation in the market and the fact that it produces its own panels...

I have only seen references online to Eizo sourcing panels from Japanese and Taiwanese panel makers (AUO specifically was mantioned) . None of those were authoritative sources, AFAICR.

I was not aware of Eizo being a manufacturer of actual LCD panels as I have not come accross any evidence of this so far.

Do you have some references (even annecdotal ones) that you could link ?

Reply 108 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-11-10, 18:34:
I have only seen references online to Eizo sourcing panels from Japanese and Taiwanese panel makers (AUO specifically was mantio […]
Show full quote
I mean Eizo is a manufacturing company, they produce their own panels in Japan so I dont immediately jump to the conclusion that […]
Show full quote

I have only seen references online to Eizo sourcing panels from Japanese and Taiwanese panel makers (AUO specifically was mantioned) . None of those were authoritative sources, AFAICR.

I was not aware of Eizo being a manufacturer of actual LCD panels as I have not come accross any evidence of this so far.

Other than they say they are a manufacturing company and still produce in Japan no.
If you say they source their panels from AUO then im quite prepared to believe they dont actually fabricate the panels themselves.

In the past Eizo had a reputation for making unusual panels that nobody else made.

Reply 109 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-10, 18:43:
Other than they say they are a manufacturing company and still produce in Japan no. If you say they source their panels from AUO […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2023-11-10, 18:34:
I have only seen references online to Eizo sourcing panels from Japanese and Taiwanese panel makers (AUO specifically was mantio […]
Show full quote

Other than they say they are a manufacturing company and still produce in Japan no.
If you say they source their panels from AUO then im quite prepared to believe they dont actually fabricate the panels themselves.

In the past Eizo had a reputation for making unusual panels that nobody else made.

I have read some Internet banter about changes in their supply chain recently. AUO was mentioned a couple of times. A Japanese manufacturer whose name I forget was also mentioned. I have also never seen bare Eizo branded panel for sale or being referred to online, FWIW.

None of this is conclusive evidence, of course.

Reply 110 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing I do find funny talking about all this and the news about Eizo releasing a new 4:3 screen is
The company a work for replaced all their computer hardware in the usual fashion. The went with Lenovo this time around. In the upgrade their computers in the test area were replaced with new computers but they all kept their old screens.
It turns out the software that they run cant scale the display and because it displays on soft of timeline the horizontal size actually matters, when the computer scaled the display the technician couldnt tell if there was a defect because it was stretched out more than it used to be.
No new screen for the test center...

Reply 111 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-10, 20:01:
One thing I do find funny talking about all this and the news about Eizo releasing a new 4:3 screen is The company a work for re […]
Show full quote

One thing I do find funny talking about all this and the news about Eizo releasing a new 4:3 screen is
The company a work for replaced all their computer hardware in the usual fashion. The went with Lenovo this time around. In the upgrade their computers in the test area were replaced with new computers but they all kept their old screens.
It turns out the software that they run cant scale the display and because it displays on soft of timeline the horizontal size actually matters, when the computer scaled the display the technician couldnt tell if there was a defect because it was stretched out more than it used to be.

I would guess that having the monitor or maybe the GPU do the scaling might be a workaround.

Reply 112 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-11-10, 20:32:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-10, 20:01:
One thing I do find funny talking about all this and the news about Eizo releasing a new 4:3 screen is The company a work for re […]
Show full quote

I would guess that having the monitor or maybe the GPU do the scaling might be a workaround.

About any of the technical side I have no clue. All the IT is sorted out from head office. Local IT staff just deal with local production hardware, anything to do with test is done from another country.
All I do know is they are still using the old monitors despite the fact they should have been removed, which has become a problem for asset tracking, because they were scrapped 🤣.

I do love the way big companies run their IT and stock and everything, its quite comical to see what happens sometimes.
On the shop floor we used to use HP laptops but they were always getting broken, so they swapped to the little 1L PCs with a monitor that boot from the network so no SSD to steal 😉 LoL

Reply 113 of 233, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good info but I am a bit concerned that the list of all the video modes is lacking. https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/files/m … US.pdf#ID0ECJBI
Where is IBM 640x350 mode or the older Mac modes like 832x624 ? Even my Samsung 930B has those and more.
Sorry the Flexscan S2134 is not a good replacement for an older monitor IMHO specially at that price.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 114 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2023-11-11, 05:57:

Good info but I am a bit concerned that the list of all the video modes is lacking. https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/files/m … US.pdf#ID0ECJBI
Where is IBM 640x350 mode or the older Mac modes like 832x624 ? Even my Samsung 930B has those and more.
Sorry the Flexscan S2134 is not a good replacement for an older monitor IMHO specially at that price.

Reading that I think the point of this monitor has gone completely over your head.

No company is going to make a monitor for EGA computers these days. At all.

This monitor falls into the same catagory of hardware as the Zotac PCI graphics cards based on the Nvidia 200 series chips.

Reply 115 of 233, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asus VS208 series is widescreen but does have 640x350 70Hz and one Mac mode of 640x480 67Hz, it also has a "full" or "4:3" aspect control in the menu. They still make them...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 116 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The point of these monitors, AFAIU, is to cater to legacy commercial/industrial use cases where a 4:3 monitor with certain characteristics is needed. At the same time, these monitors include modern features like Displayport. That the specific feature set does not include 640x350 support is a design choice by the manufacturer. There are almost certainly legacy commercial/industrial use cases where 640x350 is needed, though admittedly less and less as time goes by . For this, there were (companies and government agencies with niche needs do buy things on secondary markets, even NASA did [1]) and are other products.

[1]
https://california18.com/the-unusual-story-of … ts/10323972023/

Reply 117 of 233, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I get it, just do not get the price. Dell, Viewsonic and Asus still make "square" monitors but are 5:4 and general limited to 1280 max and only the Dell has a Display port.

Reply 118 of 233, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-11-11, 21:12:

Yeah I get it, just do not get the price. Dell, Viewsonic and Asus still make "square" monitors but are 5:4 and general limited to 1280 max and only the Dell has a Display port.

I am guessing that they have some very specific customers in mind, that they have guaranteed volume contracts with them and that these are monitors are also available on the general market almost as an afterthought.

Reply 119 of 233, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I could understand Horun being sour about it if it wasnt that the monitors like this and the Radiforce series actually cater to a completely different market entirely, there is no thought towards the retro market we are in at all, and we retro enthusiasts are just catching a free ride on the wake of a wave.

The price is what it is. The companies who buy them need them.
The one single monitor sale that Horun would have bought if it had supported the two resolutions he wants it to and if it had been much cheaper than it is isnt going to be missed by Eizo.