VOGONS

First post, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got a handful of zip drives recently. 1 external USB, 1 internal SCSI, and 2 internal IDE.

They all seem to read just fine, no "click of death" thankfully. But the two IDE drives are significantly louder than the other two. The sound is a constant swoosh when a disk is in the drive.

So the main thing I'd like to know is if there's a good spot to grease or oil a bearing or something that would make them quieter?

And other than that, I know that the read heads are supposed to be very sensitive so I'll leave them alone, but is there anything else I should do to help take care of them?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK the problem with these ZIP drives is the head gets ripped off by residue buildup, and that comes from degraded media that starts shedding the magnetic material coating. Louder operation is usually due to the friction between media and the head, could be just this particular head+floppy is more noisy, or it could be because of the early to mid stage buildup. So at the very least inspect the heads, make sure these are clean, if not then possibly a very gentle cleaning would be preferable to waiting for the head to "catch" and get ripped. Inspect the media too, surface should be clean and without any circular scratches. If it is less than perfect then reconsider using it, perhaps only to read what's on it and transfer to another, fresh media.