VOGONS

First post, by Jollyroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone,

Here I have an interesting quest for the detail-maniac restorers out there.

The context: years ago I performed a ground-up restoration of a one-off Japanese prototype machine from 1999.
It is clearly a custom-made, sheet metal case, approximately 2x2x2 feet in size, held together by M3 Pan head screws.

The machine was in a pretty bad shape when it got to me, lots of missing screws, banged up panels, so I did a ground-up restoration, which actually turned out very well.

Being a stickler for details, I purchased spare components for as many parts of the system as possible, and in the spirit of restoring as close to the original as possible, I wanted to find identical screws to fill in for the missing ones.

And here is the challenge, the screws themselves. They are M3 JIS as far as dimensions go, but while regular JIS screws have a "dot" countersunk in their heads, to denote them from non-JIS screws, the ones holding this thing together have TWO "dots".

For a reference to the standard JIS screws, see here: https://www.metricscrewandtool.com/product-pa … -head-screw-jis

Attached to the post is a picture of the screws from this machine.

I kid you not, I scoured the internet and ultimately decided to settle for a set of brand new JIS screws of the same size and plating as the originals (which I obviously kept in the machine wherever possible).

Any clue whatsoever? Should I give up?

M3Screw.JPG

Reply 1 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are japanese specified screws. Frequently seen on japanese designed electronics. Eg: Mitsubishi, JVC etc.

The dot gave them away.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jollyroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2024-01-14, 01:49:

Those are japanese specified screws. Frequently seen on japanese designed electronics. Eg: Mitsubishi, JVC etc.

The dot gave them away.

Cheers,

Well, the commonly used ones have a dot, but these ones have two... 😀
I have not been able to find pictures of any other device/system that has screws with two dots.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jollyroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, good find!

I measured the thread pattern as carefully as I could and the closest I could find was M3, but I wasn't aware of the UNC #40-40 UNC, and it seems they are indeed very close to each other.

Interestingly, the two "dots" on the screws on this sheet are 90 degrees apart on the head, whereas the ones on the machine I am restoring are 180 degrees apart, I wonder if they are related or not.

Great catch at any rate, I will dig further in this direction...

Reply 5 of 5, by Jollyroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A cursory look for #4-40 pan head machine screws seems to indicate that most (all) don't have any dots on their heads, so perhaps the ones used in the Omron connectors are purpose-made.