VOGONS

First post, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a PA-2005 and noticed the keyboard port appears shifted towards the PCI slots, such that when mounted into a case, plugging a keyboard in causes the keyboard's connector to hit the side of the case hole. I put a completely different motherboard into that case and its keyboard connector is nearly centered with the case hole. I shelved the PA-2005 for awhile.

I recently picked up another totally different case that already had a (not a PA-2005) motherboard in it. I briefly tested it and no keyboard port issues. I wanted to use the PA-2005 in it though, and when I installed the motherboard in that case the same problem exists!

I find it hard to believe that a name-brand motherboard would have this issue. The keyboard jack looks nice and straight with regard to the edge of the motherboard. For what it's worth, I put a PCI video card in it and everything lines up nicely. So, does anyone have a PA-2005 with this problem?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What board was in that case to begin with ? Was it a Pentium PCI board ? Can you measure from the middle bottom pin of KB to middle of the first PCI slot (best when board is out) on your PA-2005?
Should be about 1-13/16" space. Do not have a PA-2005, but have a FIC PT-2000, PT-2003, and Asus P6NP5 and all measure same.
added: In your picture appears about 1/16" off or closer to 1-5/8" space center kb hole to possible center first slot.....also that hole should be big enough for most standard AT keyboards, are you using one with a very fat connector ?
edited for content 😁

Last edited by Horun on 2024-01-25, 11:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple of PA-2005 here and I compared them to some random Baby-AT boards. Compared to some, the connector is indeed offset about 2.5 - 3mm, compared to others it´s not.
The clue seems to be if the layout also provides landings for PS2 KB- and mouse connectors . The "PS2 ready" mainboards seem to have the offset for the old DIN connector.
Since the positions for the two side by side PS2 connectors are fixed, I guess the DIN connector had to be moved a bit to the side due to layout restrictions (traces and landings).

Reply 3 of 4, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-01-25, 04:20:
What board was in that case to begin with ? Was it a Pentium PCI board ? Can you measure from the middle bottom pin of KB to mid […]
Show full quote

What board was in that case to begin with ? Was it a Pentium PCI board ? Can you measure from the middle bottom pin of KB to middle of the first PCI slot (best when board is out) on your PA-2005?
Should be about 1-13/16" space. Do not have a PA-2005, but have a FIC PT-2000, PT-2003, and Asus P6NP5 and all measure same.
added: In your picture appears about 1/16" off or closer to 1-5/8" space center kb hole to possible center first slot.....also that hole should be big enough for most standard AT keyboards, are you using one with a very fat connector ?
edited for content 😁

It was P5-200 board. The connector I'm using is actually a converter to a PS/2 keyboard, but when I tried it in another case I used a real DIN-5 keyboard and that was better. I actually have a DIN-5 plug, which is fairly skinny, and a mini-DIN 6 jack that was supposed to be made into a converter.

Reply 4 of 4, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2024-01-25, 06:49:

I have a couple of PA-2005 here and I compared them to some random Baby-AT boards. Compared to some, the connector is indeed offset about 2.5 - 3mm, compared to others it´s not.
The clue seems to be if the layout also provides landings for PS2 KB- and mouse connectors . The "PS2 ready" mainboards seem to have the offset for the old DIN connector.
Since the positions for the two side by side PS2 connectors are fixed, I guess the DIN connector had to be moved a bit to the side due to layout restrictions (traces and landings).

I compared it to the board was in there and there is a difference of about 30 mils, which is less than a mm. But I don't completely trust my measurements because it wasn't easy to do this with my caliper.

Anyway thank you, this makes me think my PA-2005 isn't a factory reject.