VOGONS

First post, by Retronaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, so, my Ergo Pro x453 had an issue with its BIOS and this was fixed in another thread.
Help with BIOS behaviour, Fujitsu Ergo Pro x453

Now that's fixed, I decided to backup its 26 year old IDE hard drive (2gb), with Windows 98 installed, before cloning that onto a Compact Flash card (16gb)
So I can then use THAT as the boot device.

Issue 1
So, I used a Mac, with both the card and the drive attached with USB adapters.
Then I used the shell command dd, to clone the Drive onto the Card, taking care to do it right direction.
Then I ejected the Flash card and the IDE drive.

Next I plugged in the CF Flash, using an IDE adapter, and making sure It went in right orientation in terms of the socket
It has lights on its LEDs, but during boot, nothing.

So I plugged the original IDE drive back in, and... there is no boot on it now! Argh!

Does anyone have any experience with this process? Because I assumed that dd, being a backup command, would not write anything to the IDE drive
But appears that in the act of just mounting it on the Mac, that it has somehow borked the MBR or something esoteric

I want to keep the original Win98 install, as it has all the required drivers, and that's quite a lot of work to re-create with a fresh install.

So, that's issue 1.

Issue 2, is that I burned a Win98SE CD-Rom, and I used that when the IDE hard drive WAS booting into Win98, to install missing USB drivers, as oddly, it seemed these WERE missing
With the IDE Hard Disk drive not booting, it appears I need to use some kind of MSDOS tool to write its MBR, or analyse it etc.
I thought this was via a Boot floppy, but by Win98, it appears there was NOT boot floppy in tandem with the OS

Now, I insert the Win98SE install disk, and set the CD-Rom as the ONLY bootable device, and it does not boot from it.
So, I downloaded a Win98SE boot disk, a very small CD-Rom image, just 2mb, and I tried that, and it wont boot from it either.

Does this sound normal? I'm wondering if this machines BIOS has got corrupted again. I suppose I could flash it again.
But Id be interested to hear others views on this before pointing fingers

I DID get it to boot using Win95 install boot floppy last night. But when I tried to apply a new MBR to the hard disk
Well, it was not booting still, but I think there WAS a difference, but still, no boot.

Now, IF that Win98 install on the hard disk IS fried, which I hope not, then OK, I take it on the chin and move on.
problem is, right now, I don't have the ability to get the Win98 install disk to boot, so I have NO path to getting that re-installed, right?

Maybe all of the above is normal enough for these machines. But its certainly frustrating 😒

Last edited by Retronaut on 2024-01-27, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Chris Thomas
aka Retronaut @ https://www.youtube.com/@RetronautTech
Support me @ patreon.com/RetronautTech

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> I assumed that dd would not write anything to the IDE drive. But appears that in the act of just mounting it on the Mac, that it has somehow borked the MBR or something

You assumed correctly, dd doesn't write to the source drive. So if you got your command line args the right way round then it didn't. But, if I'm reading this correctly, you mounted the partition? You never clone things that are currently mounted - you don't know when the OS might access them, which might lead to copies of things that are half-written, and broken.

Even if that didn't happen here... it's a FAT partition, which gets marked as "dirty" on mount and only has that flag cleared on unmount. So your copy will be branded as "not cleanly unmounted, run scandisk all over this sucker rite nao!!". While it should not affect the bootloader, it's still really bad form.

> Win98 CD won't boot

WinWorld's W98 page has a bug fat note abut this: "Important: Only the OEM Full version is bootable. All others require an appropriate Windows 98 Boot Floppy." So first of all, make sure the version you have is supposed to be bootable in the first place. Maybe on a different PC. Same for that "boot floppy CD" homebrew thingie, if you want to stick with that.

Anyways. To rule out BIOS issues, you could image the IDE HDD, the CF card and/or your Windows CD to a file and try booting them in QEMU (or another VM of your choice). Would've been the safest thing to do from the start - if you get the arguments wrong, dd will just complain that it can't read from a nonexisting i-thought-it-was-the-target file, no harm done.

Reply 2 of 2, by Retronaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, looked for a boot disk for Win98, and there IS a floppy. So Ill give that a try now, and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

And first horrible problem overcome. Winimage, despite APPEARING to be the tool for the job, DOES NOT produce working bootable floppy disks from valid images
Instead I used PowerISO, which has a Tools menu item, write floppy disk image, and that DOES work as expected

So now at least I can boot into 98 compatible MSDos on my machine. The hard disk still seems borked so now I am going to try and install Win98 on my CF Flash
First attempt at that failed. I think the AUTO detect cant grok the CF Flash, which makes sense I suppose
Because it formatted a 16gb card in about 1 minute, which, from memory is WAY too fast.

Looks like Ill have to find out how to get the CF Flash card working next.

Chris Thomas
aka Retronaut @ https://www.youtube.com/@RetronautTech
Support me @ patreon.com/RetronautTech