VOGONS

First post, by schnoots148

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all, i've been looking to get a dirt cheap laptop with a mobility x600 card with the intention of turning it into a beast 98 gaming laptop. Problem I have is that it isnt 100% clear as to whether or not the mobility x600 is supported in 98 as info online is sparse.

A user named mase in this thread was able to get 98 working on a t43 which has the x300 chip, and from what I can gather the x300 and x600 are based off the same chip. Has anybody had any luck with the x600? The desktop version of the x600 seems to work but i'm not sure about its mobile counterpart. Would appreciate if anyone could confirm this for me

Re: Thinkpad T43 with Win98 drivers

Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Catalyst 6.2 that supports the Xxxx series chips has some level of support for the mobile chips but you most likely need to manually add the hardware ID into the driver INF file. I have only personal experience with Ati Xpress200 chipset on HP NX6125 laptop and in one HP pavilion desktop.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by schnoots148

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-01-28, 11:20:

Catalyst 6.2 that supports the Xxxx series chips has some level of support for the mobile chips but you most likely need to manually add the hardware ID into the driver INF file. I have only personal experience with Ati Xpress200 chipset on HP NX6125 laptop and in one HP pavilion desktop.

Research tells me the xpress 200 is equivalent to the x300, both from the same family (R300) and the x600 is also from that same family. Should be compatible right

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a pretty good chance it works but I cannot give any guarantees...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a Tosh Sat (Pro?) with ATI Xpress 200M graphics, and I concluded it wasn't a real Radeon. I had a couple of Radeons on the desktop before that laptop, and so had expectations that fell down. Maybe some other Radeon branded stuff was similar?

The laptop came with XP Home, but XP was too hand-holding, Fisher-Price, bloated, etc., and I wanted to stick with 2000. Could not get the ATI driver or Toshiba package to work under 2000. I think I had a got at inf hacking, but perhaps simply never got that right.

Installed the MSDN copy of XP Pro from work, and IIRC still had to use the Toshiba driver for the X200M: reference ATI drivers were plain incompatible.

Linux was the same kind of limited driver support nonsense.

ATI provided a binary blob driver for the X200M, but their driver only worked with up-to a certain version of kernel. ATI never released another driver with X200M support. All I could do was manually compile the highest possible kernel compatible, and otherwise never update the kernel. And in turn, whole distro on top. No new OS until a new laptop, many years later.

At the time hardware acceleration was not in the radeon module, and the kernel driver was just too slow. And, because the X200M wasn't a real radeon, I think what features the kernel supported might not have been implemented on this mock-radeon.

The laptop wasn't all crap. Had TV out and so P2P2TV worked nice 😀 Also was a PIII-based celeron just when Apple moved to Intel, and it could be used as a Hackintosh. Also was the period of Ubuntu breaking something at every 6 month update. It had a quad boot at one point, for sure. Phone on USB and even could do mobile internet!

Oh, and I learned do not use binary drivers on Linux. You end up at the whims of publishers, and that, IMHO, is the crux of the problem with proprietary vendors.