VOGONS

First post, by George Razvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have this board for a few years. According to the data sheet it is a Permedia 2 board, for Sun systems. I have tested it, and just like I expected, it showed just a blank screen so I have just added it to the collection.
However I've seen videos with this board on intel platforms, and I would like to try it. I have other permedia 2,but this one looks...well,different. So, if somebody is familiar with this board, and can help, that would be appreciated.

Tks

Attachments

Last edited by George Razvan on 2024-01-31, 12:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 75 MHz ,Intel Advanced /ML ,64 MB RAM ,Matrox Millennium II,160 GB 7200 RPM
Pentium Pro 200 MHz, Intel VS440FX,32 MB RAM, Elsa Gloria Synergy,40 GB 7200 RPM
Dual Pentium III 650 MHz,512 MB RAM,3 x 4.5 GB SCSI Quantum Viking II 7200 RPM

Reply 1 of 4, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have one. If you boot your PC with two graphics cards, one whatever that posts and the other is this one, you'll see that the device manager recognizes the Sun Permedia 2 too and drivers can be installed. That's as far as I got with it, then ran out of patience and sold it.

Edit. Allegedly if you do it like this, than it should post after the drivers load or something, but it didn't for me.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 4, by George Razvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-01-31, 12:01:

I used to have one. If you boot your PC with two graphics cards, one whatever that posts and the other is this one, you'll see that the device manager recognizes the Sun Permedia 2 too and drivers can be installed. That's as far as I got with it, then ran out of patience and sold it.

So the problem would be the firmware?

Pentium 75 MHz ,Intel Advanced /ML ,64 MB RAM ,Matrox Millennium II,160 GB 7200 RPM
Pentium Pro 200 MHz, Intel VS440FX,32 MB RAM, Elsa Gloria Synergy,40 GB 7200 RPM
Dual Pentium III 650 MHz,512 MB RAM,3 x 4.5 GB SCSI Quantum Viking II 7200 RPM

Reply 4 of 4, by tokenalt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
George Razvan wrote on 2024-01-31, 12:03:
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-01-31, 12:01:

So the problem would be the firmware?

The firmware is fcode for Openboot on a SPARC system but should also work on a PPC Mac and some IBM Power systems. It is not an x86 BIOS.