VOGONS

A beginner with a 386SX

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2024-02-01, 13:55:

So you need a driver for a serial mouse in Windows?
What happens when you pick a generic driver in Windows setup.exe ? (Setup can be either run from DOS or Windows)

I would do that but it seems like my off-brand windows install disk #2 either doesn't work anymore or it is missing msmouse.com that it wants.

Reply 61 of 64, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

scratch my last message, the mouse file that windows wants is there, it just won't grab it for some reason. In setup I selected "Genius serial mouse on com1" since that seems closest to what I have, my mouse is on com1 irq4.
I did see the Lmouse.co_ on disk 2, is that a driver that works for windows or just dos, windows seems to want a ***.drv file.

I realized that cutemouse does work for windows, I was wrong. Cutemouse is an option, I just need to figure out how to install it since there are no instructions anywhere that I can find.

Reply 62 of 64, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alex_03 wrote on 2024-02-01, 13:42:
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-01, 08:42:

You can also use Cutemouse which does not require an installer and has a very small memory footprint, it should be available to download on Phil's Computer Lab's resources/downloads page. Alternatively just google it, and download versions 1.9 and the 2.x betas. Try them all, some work better than others on specific configurations.

I saw cutemouse in my searches, but the description made it sound like it was only for DOS, I will look at it again though.

You shouldn't need a serial mouse driver in Windows, support for that is included in all versions of Windows I know of including 1.0 IIRC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 63 of 64, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-02-02, 05:45:

You shouldn't need a serial mouse driver in Windows, support for that is included in all versions of Windows I know of including 1.0 IIRC.

I have heard conflicting information, some people say that universal drivers were including starting with windows 95.

Either way my mouse does not work. Windows wants to install a driver when I try to select a mouse, and that is the point at which I am stuck.

Reply 64 of 64, by Alex_03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got it. I found a driver package that included a "OEMsetup.inf", now it works just fine except I think the buttons are not quite right. It also turns out that I had my floppy drive configured wrong in the bios, doh!