VOGONS

First post, by Xtrapol8er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, it's me again. I've moved on to Windows 3.1 on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 75, and I've hit another stumbling block. The integrated video on the motherboard is a Oak OTI-77 chipset with 512k of VRAM, and I have been able to find the correct drivers for it for Windows 3.1. However, whenever I select a driver with a color depth higher than 16 colors in Windows Setup, the color depth does not change, as I would expect. I can select higher resolutions like 800x600, and it changes perfectly fine, but any change in color depth is a no-go. For example, when I choose the 800x600@256 driver, the resolution increases, but the color depth doesn't.

Confusingly, my only other ISA video card, a Trident TVGA 9000B, exhibits the exact same issue when I put it in the computer. I've checked the datasheets for both of these graphics chips, and it seems like they would support higher color depth modes, even if they are at lower resolutions. The only commonality I can see between the two cards is that they both have only 512k of VRAM. I don't know if that's too little for anything above 16 colors, I'm not too sure of my knowledge with regards to old video adapters. Please let me know if I'm just being a bonehead or if there's something more subtle going on.

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!
I've found an OTI-77 diskette not so long ago..
OAK OTI-77 driver diskette

To my knowledge 512KB should be fine for both 640x480 and 800x600 in 256c.

800x600 16c does work with 256KB of video RAM.
Same goes for 640x400 in 256c.

What you can do is try loading the VESA VBE "driver" and then running a picture viewer.
Say, PV or 2SHOW (CompuShow 2000).
They allow you to set resolution/colour depth.

Also worth a try is the "RAMBIOS" program. It loads a VGA BIOS into RAM.
It's not necessarily the same as on your card's ROM chip, though.

Good luck!

PS: I've also quite have had some troubleshooting behind me, with an OTI-37c.. ;)
OAK OTI-037c - 800x600 mode ?

Edit: The Windows 3.1 color scheme setting in Control Panel isn't very sensitive to 256c.
Here, the smooth colour gradients rather start to appear with hicolor or trucolor..

The icons in Windows 3.1 won't change with colour depth as they would do in Windows 95 and up, also.
They're basically 16c (or 20c) all day long.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//