VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have a BX500 SSD, Radeon X850 XT PCIe and a P5PKL-AM/PS motherboard. This is the PSU I have:

IMG_1050.jpg
Filename
IMG_1050.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The PSU has 4 wires coming out - one with that 20+4 pin connector, one with a 4 pin connector, one with a molex pin + sata pin (say wire A), and another with a molex pin + sata pin (say Wire B). The GPU comes with a wire (wire C) that has a 6 pin connector on one side and 2 molex ones on the other: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YccAAOSw93JlQNp8/s-l1600.jpg.

Now normally it's for me to plug molex pin from wire A and molex pin from wire B into the GPU connector (wire C), if wires A and B were not connected to anything else. But is this okay if wire B's sata pin is connected to the SSD as well? End config that I wanted to confirm is: 20+4 and 4 pin connectors into mobo, wire A's molex into wire C, wire B's molex into wire C and wire B's sata into SSD - would this be fine?

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never heard of Zebronics before. How many SATA and Molex are on each of the two NON-mobo leads ? What motherboard are you using ? Just curious
SSD do not require much amps....so assuming the PSU can deliver even 2/3 of what is on the label you should be ok unless running some Athlon cpu that need lots of juice 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-02-10, 04:44:

Never heard of Zebronics before. How many SATA and Molex are on each of the two NON-mobo leads ? What motherboard are you using ? Just curious
SSD do not require much amps....so assuming the PSU can deliver even 2/3 of what is on the label you should be ok unless running some Athlon cpu that need lots of juice 😁

On each non-mobo lead, there is 1 SATA and 1 Molex. The CPU is a Pentium Dual Core CPU (may switch it with a Core 2 Duo after a few days)

Reply 3 of 3, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SSDs usually draw from the 5V line (...at least I haven't encountered one that didn't). Now, if your GPU wants 12V then you can stop right there and just do it, since they're using entirely different wires (that just happen to be stuck in the same plugs). If it wants 5, then... well, what choice do you have. And as already pointed out, SSDs draw very little anyways.