VOGONS

First post, by Mechanicbot28

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this OPL3 sound card in a lot of ISA cards and I cannot find out anything about it. It has unusual headers for “TVAUDIO” and “RADIO” Does anyone know what this is or have any drivers for it?

Edit: I forgot to attach the image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.87 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Mechanicbot28 on 2024-02-13, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a late mid-90's cost reduced ISA sound card with integrated modem. No idea what the RADIO and TVAUDIO headers could refer to.

From scanning DOSDays it looks like a different revision of the Multimedia Audio Telephony 3200/3260.

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/aztech.php

Reply 6 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mechanicbot28 wrote on 2024-02-13, 20:06:

I don’t think it can be because it’s auto detected in windows 95 and detects an adlib gold compatible sound card that dos days chart says that it isn’t compatible with ad-lib.

I'm not sure what that table is supposed to say but it looks like they have ticked Adlib support only on gen 1 cards, perhaps there is some edge cases where later chips have problems? AFAIK all Aztech cards support Adlib and I've never had any issues on my cards.

As for the headers, this being and OEM card (if that's correct) it probaly has dedicated mixer inputs for other add-on cards. Like FM (or AM/FM) radio and TV tuner. That way one can easily control the volume of all sound sources via one mixer and one app. Depending on how it's routed it possibly also allows recording from these sources.

Reply 7 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mechanicbot28 wrote on 2024-02-13, 19:47:

It has three audio chips. Marking are
“AZT2316R”

3rd gen Aztech audio controller. Supports SBPro2 and has bug-free UART MPU-401

“YMF262-M”

Real OPL3 chip for FM synthesis

“CS423A-KL”

DAC that offers WSS support.

This MMSN841 was known internally at Packard Bell as 'Rocky 2' (due to the 28k8 Rockwell modem chipset which you can safely ignore). It's a completely standard Aztech card though so can use generic config tools (DOS) or drivers (Windows). I really like these cards (I have its successor, the MMSN855 - Rocky 2.5 in Packard Bell speak, with AZT2302 chipset - basically the same at the 2316R but with OPL3, DAC and PnP integrated into one package). They have basically every desirable sound card feature (including low self-noise and no tricky drivers) apart from SB16 and in this case a wavetable header.

Mechanicbot28 wrote on 2024-02-13, 20:06:

I don’t think it can be because it’s auto detected in windows 95 and detects an adlib gold compatible sound card that dos days chart says that it isn’t compatible with ad-lib.

Whatever Windows 95 is detecting, it's not correct as AdLib Gold compatible cards are as rare as hens' teeth and this is not one of them. This is fully AdLib (non-Gold) compatible thanks to its OPL3 whcih is backwards compatible with OPL2.