VOGONS

First post, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello fellow retrocomputing friends.

We talked a lot of times about the problems with bus frequencies when they tend to get high, and with the unbreakable 66 MHz barrier in the P1 era.

But now I just realized and wonder: the 6X86 P200+ and 6X86MX P233+ CPUs required a 75 MHz bus to work at their nominal frequency of 150 MHz. They were on Socket 7. So, what were the motherboards capable of supporting that?

Thanks

They said therefore to him: Who are you?
Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Triton II class are better for it, VX, HX, TX. Then there's the Via VP1, VPX.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-21, 17:00:

Triton II class are better for it, VX, HX, TX. Then there's the Via VP1, VPX.

Oh! I never heard of the VP1 and VPX... any particularly good model/brand you might recommend seeking out?

I remember well the VX, HX, and TX ones (as well as I remember VX wasn't worth it if seeking peak performance due to the lack of something... but I don't remember what).

So, if they can handle a 75 MHz bus, does it mean their PCI bus can handle 37.5 MHz ? Are there any PCI SVGA and HDD controller cards that can run at that frequency with 0 wait states?

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

37.5 is not usually a problem for most 96 up PCI cards, it's the over 40 speeds for 83mhz or 95 mhz that usually give you grief. Though if you want to be sure, you can look for chipsets of the type of cards you need that also supported PCIx, since they will do 66Mhz for that, so going over 33 on regular PCI is easy for them.

Unfortunately, attractive pricing meant VIA chipsets ended up on a lot of low end boards, but there are some like the Lucky Star 5V-1A that are good Lucky Star 5V-1A / 5V-1B review - scaling form XT levels to K6-II levels

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by aries-mu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-21, 18:02:

37.5 is not usually a problem for most 96 up PCI cards, it's the over 40 speeds for 83mhz or 95 mhz that usually give you grief. Though if you want to be sure, you can look for chipsets of the type of cards you need that also supported PCIx, since they will do 66Mhz for that, so going over 33 on regular PCI is easy for them.

oh wow! That's a neat trick!!!! THANK YOU!

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-21, 18:02:

Unfortunately, attractive pricing meant VIA chipsets ended up on a lot of low end boards, but there are some like the Lucky Star 5V-1A that are good Lucky Star 5V-1A / 5V-1B review - scaling form XT levels to K6-II levels

That's interesting! Thanks again!