VOGONS

First post, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have yet another unknown 486 board but at least the connectors are labeled.
Trouble is, both the turbo switch and LED are 2pin but the case connectors are 3 and 5 pin??
I‘ve no idea how to connect this and really could use some help!

Reply 1 of 4, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit.

Last edited by rain on 2024-02-21, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not so sure about that. Looks like the cables in the foreground of the 2nd pic are for an AT power switch.

Those headers do seem weird though. Is this case from one of the major brands? Might be a custom layout for a specific motherboard.

If you can trace all those wires, you should be able to pull them out of the headers they're in and put 2-pin headers in their place. For switches, it doesn't matter which way you connect them, but for the LEDs you'll need to figure out which wire is + and which is ground.

Reply 3 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the three pin turbo switch is a latching switch, normal position being , let's say, top & middle pin, pressed position being middle & bottom pin.
attach it to the mainboard two pins in any position that you want. In one position the mainboard will be in turbo with the switch in normal position, in the other the mainboard will be in turbo with the switch in pressed position.

the 5 pin connection is for the power led & keylock switch. It connects to the mainboard in only one way, ie the correct way. looking up the correct way will be best, and i'll try to find it in a minute.
as you can see the keylock switch is red & black and the power led is green & white. edit https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connectors/mot … at-led-keylock/

1 2 3 4 5 
. . . . .

5 pin CONNECTOR at the computer
Pin Name Description
1 LED LED Power
2 GND Ground
3 GND Ground
4 KS Key Switch
5 GND Ground

ie pin 1 is the green wire.

The turbo led is yellow & white and is only two pins.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 4, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info!
@weedeewee:
absolutely correct!! I checked the 5pin header on the board and found the 3 ground pins.
It appears the 2 digit display board is powered by the PSU and the turbo led is connected to this board, not to the mainboard. I‘m going to test it when I get home after work.