VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't normally overclock, but I read that this is an easy way to boost performance of a Socket 370 Celeron. What kinds of problems or incomatibilities should I be on the lookout for when making this kind of change? The motherboard has an AGP 1X/2X slot, PCI 2.1 support, and one ISA slot.

I'm most concered about how this might affect the use of sound cards in the ISA slot. Is this anything I should be concerned about?

Reply 1 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

depending on the chipset and motherboard you can expected corrupted data on hdd , isa sound will work fine until disk corruption gets you 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've run many Socket 7 boards at 83 MHz (both Intel and Via), and never had an issue. The only AGP system where I've ever run the AGP bus way out of spec was an Epox 8K3A+ (KT333). I ran that board at 209 MHz FSB (209/5= 41.8 MHz, 83.6 AGP) for years. Anything higher than that and my hard drive speed began to drop significantly.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-21, 22:27:

depending on the chipset and motherboard you can expected corrupted data on hdd , isa sound will work fine until disk corruption gets you 😀

It's am Intel 440LX. Why would there be disk corruption from an overclocked CPU? Would ECC memory mitigate this risk?

Reply 4 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel PIIX4/PIIX4E IDE controller doesnt have own clock source, is hard linked to PCI clock, overclocking PCI overclocks IDE

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-02-23, 14:17:

the PIIX4 is pretty solid at 83MHz IME

maybe early UDMA33 drives didnt like the OC