VOGONS

First post, by IEATCHEEZEYO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Purchased this card just for the ISA expansion slots and notices the ESS audio drive chip.
I was curious if anyone had any info or insight. will it function as a sound card?
It doesn't have any audio jacks but there is a 24 pin header which says "Game / Audio Port".
Any help or info is appreciated.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    122.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 19, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
IEATCHEEZEYO wrote on 2024-02-24, 17:13:

Interesting. he did say it apparently contains a sound card aswell. Are there any other soundcards that used the ESS audioDrive chip?

Yes, loads. It's one of the best soundblaster alternatives

Reply 4 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2024-02-24, 17:45:

Interesting. he did say it apparently contains a sound card aswell. Are there any other soundcards that used the ESS audioDrive chip?

Indeed.

To be clearer for OP, AudioDrive is a family of audio chips from ESS.

https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/ess.php

Reply 5 of 19, by IEATCHEEZEYO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think it would be possible to use the drivers from another card that uses this chip and have it work?
Also there aren't any output jacks for audio so i'm assuming the jacks would have come through the pin header and been on a daughter board?
Is the Gameport / Audio pin headers standard or do they differ by card?

Reply 6 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes You need the backplate for it, in the youtube video you can see it with a ribbon cable that would attach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FfZmYJ7QjQ&t=1976s
You should be able to easily figure out the Audio outs, they would come off those two big caps....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IEATCHEEZEYO wrote on 2024-02-24, 20:14:

Awesome! Thanks for the help now I just have to sort out the driver situation for dos.

Use unisound (UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b), it initialises ESS chips and can set volume, mixer levels, etc no problem. There's no need for any other drivers, IMO; it's a brilliant all-in-one solution.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 13 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh that’s really cool.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 15 of 19, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This. Extremely common family of chips. My favorite SB alternative. The OPL quality is great and it support ADPCM unlike most clones.

Reply 16 of 19, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ESS is also my favorite, I like it as much as SB, but it has its own unique great sound. The quality of the cards can be hit or miss, but ESS itself is great. If anyone doesn't already have an ESS, I think they're a great addition to any collection.

Reply 17 of 19, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2024-03-04, 03:58:

ESS is also my favorite, I like it as much as SB, but it has its own unique great sound. The quality of the cards can be hit or miss, but ESS itself is great. If anyone doesn't already have an ESS, I think they're a great addition to any collection.

Hmm, I should design an ESS ISA card made with good analog practices and high end audio grade caps/opamps/etc. I'll add it to the long list of design projects for my spare time.

Reply 18 of 19, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-04, 05:35:
midicollector wrote on 2024-03-04, 03:58:

Hmm, I should design an ESS ISA card made with good analog practices and high end audio grade caps/opamps/etc. I'll add it to the long list of design projects for my spare time.

I have had good luck with it on my dos rig

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 19 of 19, by steevf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IEATCHEEZEYO wrote on 2024-02-29, 17:46:

I got it working in dos with UNISOUND. Is there any way to get this working in Windows 95?

Have you tried the the driver from the Vogons Driver Library. I would try the one that matches the chip first.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=51,41