VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone!
I just got my hands on the 486 version of the Canon NoteJet BN200. It's a pretty intriguing laptop, with a built-in bubble jet printer. I can't wait to try printing with it.

Unfortunately, at the moment it gets stuck during POST.
It does its memory test as usual, during which I can still somewhat interact with it.
As an example, I can change the brightness and contrast controls and I can also enable or disable NUM lock or CAPS lock.
However, as soon as it finishes the RAM test, it displays the following error message: fixed disk configuration error to enter setup press ctrl+alt+s
(BTW This laptop has a Phoenix NoteBIOS A486 Version 1.03)

Whenever this message appears, it becomes completely unresponsive and I am unable to interact with it at all.
It's impossible for me to turn it off in this state.
To turn it off, I must either disconnect the AC adapter or the battery.

After an hour of troubleshooting, I couldn't find anything that made a difference.

I have tried things like:
- Taking out the CMOS battery for approximately 10 minutes and replacing it with a new one (more on that to come).
- Replacing the hard drive
- Reseating the IDE connector
- Turning it on with no hard drive installed.
- Reseating the CPU board and cleaning the contacts
- Replacing the RAM
- Turning it on without RAM, except its onboard memory
- Turning it on with a known-good DR36 battery
- Turning it on, only with its AC adapter and no battery installed

Despite my efforts, I always reach the same dead end.

Here are some additional information, that may be relevant.

I don't have the original BN-MA540 AC adapter.
The original AC adapter had an output of 20 volts and a draw of 2.7 amps.
Instead, I used a cheap universal power supply to test it.
Based on the sticker, this AC adapter (SP-120W) can draw up to 5 amps when set to 20 volts.
Is there a chance that this could have caused damage to my BN200?

Additionally, I lacked the correct replacement for the CMOS battery. The battery in this laptop used to be a Panasonic CR2477, but I only had a regular CR2032 battery.
Could this perhaps be the reason for the strange behavior?

During further inspections, I discovered some SMD electrolytic capacitors.
Are these capacitors prone to failure?
I might do a full recap of this laptop, if necessary.
However, I'm reluctant to take it apart because I don't have any schematics to follow when performing a complete disassembly.
Has anyone ever attempted to take apart a BN200 before?
If that's the case, I would be grateful if you could guide me through the disassembly process.

If you have encountered a similar issue with this laptop and found a solution, please let me know how you resolved it.
I would be grateful for any advice you could give me.

As usual, thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Wilius on 2024-02-28, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I also got myself a copy of this strange but interesting notebook, look at my post

Canon NoteJet thread (Notebook with Printer onboard) ex "Difficulty seeing output via VGA “out of range”"

I can summarize for you that I also did many tests and many combinations to be able to see the screen on the external monitor due to the settings that are not saved in the bios. I discovered that once turned on you just need to immediately enter the bios, change the output from LCD to CRT and then until it is disconnected from its power supply it will always perform hot boots on the external monitor. Mine also had a damaged hard disk and I replaced it first with a compact flash and then definitively with a 2GB hard disk.

You may ask me: what does this have to do with my computer? Simple, I read your post carefully and I can tell you with certainty that with all the combinations you have performed, this computer model boots normally or reports the missing disk error or does not save the settings in the bios. In summary it behaves like a normal desktop and in no case crashes like yours.

If you want I can do some tests on mine which may be useful to you, I can't be sure but I think something important has gone wrong in your logic board.

Lastly I ask you, if you decide to get rid of it because you can't make it work, consider selling it to me so I can recover the monitor from your computer, which seems to be the thing that works.

Reply 2 of 7, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, first and foremost, thank you for your quick reply. I really appreciate that!
The suggestion, you gave me worked like a charm!
You are truly brilliant and I am an utter idiot!
Take my word for it, you're simply a man of honour!
I'm overwhelmed with happiness that it works, and I didn't cause any damage!
Your support is greatly appreciated!
It was so straightforward, I can't believe it.

Looks like, my problem has been resolved then.

Unfortunately, it appears that the LCD may be about to fail. It is absolutely hideous, even for a passive matrix panel, and that's saying something.
I have never come across a laptop screen as bad as this one.

Reply 3 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But I don't think I suggested any solution, I just said that with all the tests you did it normally shouldn't have crashed. Can I instead ask you to post a photo of the screen out of curiosity?

Reply 4 of 7, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry if my previous message caused any confusion.
I didn't notice that I had incorrectly expressed myself in my previous message due to my excitement.
My original plan was to express gratitude for your discovery that has assisted me in resolving my problem.
I'm sorry for the miscommunication. I should have taken more time before clicking submit.
In the future, I will pay more attention before submitting any quick reply.

As per your request, I will make sure to upload some pictures of the screen.
Could you please give me a moment?

Reply 5 of 7, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As promised, here are some pictures of the screen. If you need more, please feel free to ask me.
I may be exaggerating, but I find the display to be pretty awful.
Since I'm dealing with a DSTN panel, that shouldn't come as a surprise.
There are times when it starts flickering. But it only happens on occasion.

While adjusting the display settings, I made some discoveries on my own.
Originally, the color palette was set to 256-colors. I changed the settings to High Color (16 Bit) out of curiosity.
This caused the screen to kinda glitch out. Could this be a hardware, or software related issue?

Reply 6 of 7, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, and there's one more thing. The floppy disk drive is not working anymore.
It appears to be a belt-driven drive and the belt has worn down.
Do you by any chance have an idea what the model is?
I'm sorry for bothering you with questions like that

Reply 7 of 7, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

even my floppy drive does not work, i will check this summer, when i have time. screen must be active matrix from spech