VOGONS

First post, by Xtrapol8er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I've decided to install Windows 98SE on another one of my old computers, a Dell OptiPlex Gx1p. Right now I'm using an ISA sound card, precisely a Sound Blaster CT2960, which works perfectly fine under MS-DOS. However, when I boot into Windows 98SE, the sound card stops outputting any sound at all. It is detected fine — it is plug and play, after all — but there is no sound output no matter the volume or mixer settings. I've tried every unique driver I can find, although I think the drivers that came with Windows 98 should be perfectly fine. Whenever I install the card into the system, it also installs a driver for 'XpressAudio' that appears as the only playback device; I don't know if that's relevant. Does anyone have any pointers? I feel like this should work fine in Windows 98.

Reply 1 of 3, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, it should just work if the card is actually pnp. is xpressaudio perhaps the onboard audio on the motherboard? if all else fails you can configure the dos drivers in autoexec.bat to run under win98se in 16bit compatibility mode.

Reply 2 of 3, by Xtrapol8er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked, but I can't seem to tell what the XpressAudio driver is; I've disabled the onboard sound so it couldn't be that.

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XpressAudio is a Cyrix MediaGX audio. Your mobo should have a Crystal CS4236 chip so not sure why your Win98 is installing that driver.
What does Device Manager look like under "Sound, video..." ??

added: how are you dual booting DOS and Win98 ? The dos drivers for that ct2960 could be interfering with proper HW detection in WIn98 (is rare but can happen)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun