VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm in a bit of a bind , I beat ecstatica 1 recently and now I've started 2 but I'm not sure what sound option to go with.

In 1 I went with the sc55 and sound blaster which seemed like a good bet because thr game came out in 1994.

2 came out 96, 97ish.

And has a windows and dos version install on the cd.

The dos version which i installed on my 6.22 drive has gravis with ultamid, awe32 , scc1 (so soundcanvas) and just the soundblaster.

The Windows version which i installed on my 95 drive just defaults to what your main soundcard is and has no options.

I can't find any info on what device the composer intended to have the music play on.

Anyone got any insight?

Reply 1 of 3, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you'd be safe with the Roland SC-55 option.

Please note that Ecstatica 2 plays unreasonably fast under Windows even with just slightly newer CPUs. The DOS version features a proper framecap and does not suffer from this issue and you will see the game as intended.

Reply 2 of 3, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2023-09-05, 05:09:

I think you'd be safe with the Roland SC-55 option.

Please note that Ecstatica 2 plays unreasonably fast under Windows even with just slightly newer CPUs. The DOS version features a proper framecap and does not suffer from this issue and you will see the game as intended.

Alright thanks for the info , ill keep in that in mind.
So would a pentium 233 mmx be too fast for the game?

Reply 3 of 3, by petran79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember that Ecstatica 2 had indeed faster speed on Windows than DOS
Best current option is to play the patched version that has correct MIDI music.
https://ecstatica.fandom.com/wiki/Playing_Ecs … _Modern_Systems

Unfortunately while DOS version has the correct framerate, the game breaking Amazon bug is only patched in the Windows version.