VOGONS

First post, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The hard disk in my PS/2 model 30 has died. These drives use an edge connector to transfer data AND power. What would be the easiest way to power an IDE drive (XT-IDE setup)? It's a physical IDE drive, not a CF card, so I do need that power.

I am looking for a simple way to do this, e.g. find some pins/connector on the motherboard and modify a cable with a MOLEX connector on one end and the necessary connector for the motherboard thingy on the other. Something like that.

Reply 1 of 3, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Easiest would probably be to tap into the motherboard power cable - or is it a proprietary flat cable from the few photos of the assembled PC I can find?

Most reversible would indeed be buying the appropriate plug for the motherboard XTA connector and making your power-only HDD cable…

Most professional, the first option but running your molex directly from inside the PSU case 😀

BTW people on vcfed are successfully inventing the XTA SSD if you're interested in that - limited however to the stock sizes and, last time I checked, with no LLF support

Reply 2 of 3, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ryccardo wrote on 2024-03-09, 10:21:
Easiest would probably be to tap into the motherboard power cable - or is it a proprietary flat cable from the few photos of the […]
Show full quote

Easiest would probably be to tap into the motherboard power cable - or is it a proprietary flat cable from the few photos of the assembled PC I can find?

Most reversible would indeed be buying the appropriate plug for the motherboard XTA connector and making your power-only HDD cable…

Most professional, the first option but running your molex directly from inside the PSU case 😀

BTW people on vcfed are successfully inventing the XTA SSD if you're interested in that - limited however to the stock sizes and, last time I checked, with no LLF support

I am not sure slicing and splicing the PSU cable is very simple or safe. It's certainly doable, but it's an ugly solution. So yes, I'd like to "buy the appropriate plug" but I don't know what it should be or where to attach it. Looking at the motherboard (or at least what I can see of it), nothing obvious jumps out.

Reply 3 of 3, by UpNorth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking of vampire-ing the gnd and +5V off the ISA slot itself. I hate it because it's dumb/stupid/unelegant, but I can't think of a nicer solution. I was hoping someone familiar with this motherboard would maybe show The Way.