VOGONS

First post, by AlienWeird

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finally managed to hunt down one of these... sadly not the 486 flavour. and the external floppy drive is, well, dead. the hard drive still works and holy hell am I thanking my lucky stars it still does... it's probably proprietary and I'm afraid I'm properly screwed when it eventually fails.

Problem is, I've ripped at least two other FDD units off of other laptops I've got and neither one fits. The connector is different.

The unit inside the Tulip external FDD is a CITIZEN V1DA-26A. I tried searching on eBay but the only listings that ever come up are for belts supposedly for that unit. Does anyone know of any other units with a similar connector? Or can I adapt a later drive to work with the Tulip enclosure thing?

Reply 2 of 2, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding some photos of the drive in question, with clearly readable chip IDs, especially the bigger ones in use on the floppy drive, could be of help.

Googling for the drive info does reveal at least two existing 'costly' emulators which say they can replace the drive mentioned, so I'm guessing replacing it with an equivalent or making an adapter should be possible.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port