VOGONS

Reply 27160 of 27446, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-26, 02:31:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-25, 00:04:

Continued on my quest to see how many Windows installs I can cram onto a single PC.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try Windows NT 3.1. It runs beautifully on my G7S620 with a SB16, D- link network card, and a Matrox Impression Plus.

It's the fastest fully functional (with audio, networking, and high-res video) NT 3.1 system that I own. You're pretty much limited to running Windows 3.x software, but that's part of the charm.

That's an intriguing idea. I hadn't considered trying an earlier version of NT, since I wasn't sure how compatibility would work with the processor or even graphics.

I did have to use a modified SVGA driver to get 256 colors in Windows 3.11. Would the same driver likely work under NT 3.1?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27161 of 27446, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brianboyracer wrote on 2024-03-26, 13:19:

Love BootIt Bare Metal, I do similar to what you do re install w98se once then just copy it into new partitions for different sound and graphics card combos. I always keep a plain vanilla w98 install ready to copy for new combo. I’ve an identical multi boot for my Thinkpad 600E which has drivers all the way from DOS to XP

That's an interesting idea about having a vanilla install and then just copying it. I hadn't considered that when I set up my boot partitions.

It would certainly make multiple Win 98 setups go faster!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 27162 of 27446, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another nForce 2 to have fun with, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL. Probably my 4th one in almost a whole decade and the 1st (and only) to work properly.

Didn't do a full recap as it wasn't really needed... most of the caps aren't the most abysmal choices Soltek could have gone with by a long shot.

The only caps replaced were a 1000uF 6.3v near the RAM slots (there's a Panny FR installed there) which was there when I got the board. I suspect that was the only GSC that had gone bad as the rest of them small value (1000 and sub) buggers are exclusively OST RLX, a brand I'd have seen used widely on A7N8X as well.

The only ones that I have replaced were a row of 5x KZGs. They were in spec and fine but I'm not risking any chances with those, especially when I have Ruby MBZ on hand.

It's currently equipped with a standard Thorton AXP 2400 - none of my spare 2500s work anymore 🙁, and the only 512K Barton I have is a mobile 2400+ (and a 2600+ iniside a Gericom Blockbuster Advance laptop, the same laptop recently reviewed by Phil except black.) that shows up as Unknown AMD Type. I am trying to get a BIOS update in there soon, to check if it supports XP-M chips.

Other stuff - 9600 Pro from Gecube (for now), 2x512MB ADATA Vitesta DDR500 + 1x512MB PQI Turbo, LG GSA-H58N DVDRW, custom Titan cooler 😀, CWT ISO-500PP PSU and Samsung SP1654N HDD.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27163 of 27446, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-26, 16:48:

That's an intriguing idea. I hadn't considered trying an earlier version of NT, since I wasn't sure how compatibility would work with the processor or even graphics.

I did have to use a modified SVGA driver to get 256 colors in Windows 3.11. Would the same driver likely work under NT 3.1?

Windows 3.x drivers don't work in Windows NT. Fortunately, Bearwindows developed the VBEMP generic VESA driver for NT-based operating systems:

https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm

I've had good experience with this driver on Windows 3.51 with integrated Intel graphics. It can handle any VESA-mode resolution and color-depth your card offers including widescreen modes if available. Unfortunately, I haven't had as much luck on NT 3.1 with Intel graphics. I suppose I could try again using an AGP FX 5200 as a stand-in for your 4000-series card if I have time.

Bearwindows also has installation guides for various versions of NT to get around some of the installation bugs such as CPU identification errors on processors newer than an original Pentium. It's a bit of prep work, but the instructions create a near-universal installation package.

NT 3.1: https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/winnt31x.htm

NT 3.51: https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/winnt351.htm

Be aware that NT 3.1 doesn't have a built-in ATAPI driver for drives. It can only handle IDE drives up to 8GB in size. I don't know what the implications might be for your partition scheme. You can get a NT 3.1-compatible ATAPI CD-ROM driver from here: http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/CDROM/AZTECH/IDE-NT.ZIP . Note that this ATAPI driver only works with optical drives (and no other kinds of drives). The optical drive(s) must be on a separate IDE channel from other types of ATAPI drives such as hard drives, tape drives, Zip drives, etc.

NT 3.51 has an ATAPI driver, but you'll want to replace it with the one from NT 4.0 SP6 or UNIATA for large drive support (greater than 8GB and 128GB respectively).

I don't know how your Orpheus II will fair. If it's truly SB Pro compatible, then you could try the NT Sound Blaster drivers that come with the OS. I don't know how they will work with a Plug 'n Play card, though. Good luck.

Reply 27164 of 27446, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, still no good using VBEMP with Windows NT 3.1. I tried two different video cards (a Matrox Millennium and a GeForce FX 5200). I got a service load error from Windows regardless.

I don't know if I installed the driver correctly. I expanded FRAMEBUF.DLL from the i386 installation folder and put the DLL in the NT's SYSTEM32 folder. I also used the Windows Setup utility to install the VBEMP driver. It looked like the INF file updated the registry properly. Yet, the driver still wouldn't load. Weird.

Oddly, the same driver works just fine in VirtualBox. Oh well.

Reply 27165 of 27446, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I stopped by the thrift store while in town yesterday for an appointment and lucked into something I never expected to own... especially not for $21 CAD.

IMG_0799_scaled.JPG
Filename
IMG_0799_scaled.JPG
File size
166.78 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I spent all of yesterday scrubbing the black scuffs off it and replacing a couple of missing screws, and it's still morning today, so I haven't done any testing yet, or even pre-test inspection of the components, but, even if I wind up just using it as an external enclosure where I have to replace every component, that's still a huge bargain. 😀

...and yes, the case is clearly a generic unit and it does have two knock-outs on the back for installing a couple of Amphenol C50 connectors to use it as an external SCSI housing.

(I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do with it. On the one hand, it'd be useful as an enclosure and those are tricky to find. On the other hand, it's a vintage DVD duplicator. I remember seeing those in the catalogues I'd read as a kid and, storage space aside, it'd be cool to have one just to have one.)

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 27166 of 27446, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well then, guess you have to burn a candle for Saint Isidore of Seville and beg him to let you mod it.

(Unofficial patron saint of computers and tech if anyone thinks that was too random)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27167 of 27446, by ssokolow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-27, 14:23:

Well then, guess you have to burn a candle for Saint Isidore of Seville and beg him to let you mod it.

(Unofficial patron saint of computers and tech if anyone thinks that was too random)

*chuckle* I shouldn't need to "modify" anything. The thing is literally a five-bay AT case with knock-outs for SCSI connectors and no room for a motherboard. It's only "modding" if pulling apart the nostalgic Celeron 1.2GHz from my teenage years and building a new machine in its case would be.

The question is whether I value having a hard-to-find but useful case or a harder-to-find and useless device more.

Internet Archive: My Uploads
My Blog: Retrocomputing Resources
My Rose-Coloured-Glasses Builds

I also try to announce retro-relevant stuff on on Mastodon.

Reply 27168 of 27446, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spent way longer than I would have expected learning the joys of setting up and configuring older Compaq systems, with a Deskpro XE 450 I picked up a while ago. Finding the setup software was just the beginning, and even that took a little bit of digging - the HP ftp site seems to be gone, but luckily there's at least one site hosting a (mostly) complete archive. Couldn't find a user manual though.

I had big problems trying to upgrade the RAM. It has 4mb onboard, and it would run through a memory test of any RAM I added, but it would also throw a not very helpful "memory allocation" error on startup. Once I found a Compaq diagnostic disk, it gave me a parity error and.... oh. It requires parity RAM - exactly what I have none of, super.

Anyway, I was going to give the onboard sound a chance, but I got tired of fighting with it and put in a SB16. No onboard gameport anyway. Upgraded the video too - the motherboard supports a special Kingston video memory upgrade, but there's no way I'm finding one of those. And unfortunately, it also supports a proprietary Kingston cache upgrade module which, again, I will never be able to find. Swapped the passive cooled DX2/50 for a DX2/66 with a fan.

IMG_0947.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0947.jpeg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But that's ok! I have other computers to be faster. I've got this booting DOS 6.22 from the HD, no errors on startup, yay!

It suffered some damage in shipping, which I see requires a bit more persuasion with my pliers.. also missing the light pipe for the HD LED.

IMG_0948.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0948.jpeg
File size
517.7 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Oh and:

IMG_0933.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0933.jpeg
File size
584.16 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

☹️

Reply 27169 of 27446, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-03-27, 02:06:

Nope, still no good using VBEMP with Windows NT 3.1. I tried two different video cards (a Matrox Millennium and a GeForce FX 5200). I got a service load error from Windows regardless.

I don't know if I installed the driver correctly. I expanded FRAMEBUF.DLL from the i386 installation folder and put the DLL in the NT's SYSTEM32 folder. I also used the Windows Setup utility to install the VBEMP driver. It looked like the INF file updated the registry properly. Yet, the driver still wouldn't load. Weird.

Oddly, the same driver works just fine in VirtualBox. Oh well.

Thanks for looking into that and all the info on NT 3.11 with this board.

I might do a stand-alone test install with another G7S620 board to see if it's worth putting on the main build.

In the mean time, I need to figure out if I can get Windows 3.11 to run at higher than 60 Hz.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 27170 of 27446, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the Radeon 9700 I got by surprise the other day, and well...oh you Radeon 9700/9800, always killing yourself!
I tried pressing on the memory modules, the patterns don't change...so it's back to the seller.

IMG-1526.jpg
IMG-1525.jpg

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 27171 of 27446, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested out the feasibility of doing a late-80's EGA & Adlib build, but with a Pentium 4.

This seems like a dumb idea, but I want to do it all the same...

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 27173 of 27446, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-28, 18:19:

Tested out the feasibility of doing a late-80's EGA & Adlib build, but with a Pentium 4.

I'm jealous of you guys that have EGA systems and monitors. I doubt that I'll ever get my hands on that stuff given the scarcity and prices.

Reply 27174 of 27446, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-03-26, 21:27:
Another nForce 2 to have fun with, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL. Probably my 4th one in almost a whole decade and the 1st (and only) to w […]
Show full quote

Another nForce 2 to have fun with, Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL. Probably my 4th one in almost a whole decade and the 1st (and only) to work properly.

Didn't do a full recap as it wasn't really needed... most of the caps aren't the most abysmal choices Soltek could have gone with by a long shot.

The only caps replaced were a 1000uF 6.3v near the RAM slots (there's a Panny FR installed there) which was there when I got the board. I suspect that was the only GSC that had gone bad as the rest of them small value (1000 and sub) buggers are exclusively OST RLX, a brand I'd have seen used widely on A7N8X as well.

The only ones that I have replaced were a row of 5x KZGs. They were in spec and fine but I'm not risking any chances with those, especially when I have Ruby MBZ on hand.

It's currently equipped with a standard Thorton AXP 2400 - none of my spare 2500s work anymore 🙁, and the only 512K Barton I have is a mobile 2400+ (and a 2600+ iniside a Gericom Blockbuster Advance laptop, the same laptop recently reviewed by Phil except black.) that shows up as Unknown AMD Type. I am trying to get a BIOS update in there soon, to check if it supports XP-M chips.

Other stuff - 9600 Pro from Gecube (for now), 2x512MB ADATA Vitesta DDR500 + 1x512MB PQI Turbo, LG GSA-H58N DVDRW, custom Titan cooler 😀, CWT ISO-500PP PSU and Samsung SP1654N HDD.

Would you help a fellow countryman with some recapping? I don't have the caps, tools, and I don't see as good as 10 yrs ago...

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 27175 of 27446, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:09:

I'm jealous of you guys that have EGA systems and monitors. I doubt that I'll ever get my hands on that stuff given the scarcity and prices.

I dunno if it really does anything that a decently compatible VGA card doesn't cover, I mean MDA/Herc has the alternate address 2nd monitor trick and eerie colored glows off the screen, CGA has the composite color trick, EGA has.... *crickets* ... IDK halfassed not yet VGAness.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27176 of 27446, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:24:

I dunno if it really does anything that a decently compatible VGA card doesn't cover, I mean MDA/Herc has the alternate address 2nd monitor trick and eerie colored glows off the screen, CGA has the composite color trick, EGA has.... *crickets* ... IDK halfassed not yet VGAness.

It has the glorious 16-colors of retro 80s goodness! 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 27177 of 27446, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to get a mobile Barton XP-M 2600+ to ID itself as mobile AMD Athlon on two nForce mobos, the recent SL-75FRN2-RL and a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR since they're both similar.

Am I really wrong in thinking the "Unknown CPU type" followed by a speed in the 2GHz range (give or take) is the sign that the chip is running properly?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 27178 of 27446, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:24:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-28, 21:09:

I don't know a ton about how EGA compares to VGA and SVGA, but I was under the impression that there would be differences, at least when comparing monitors? I could be wrong though. I'd actually like to be wrong because that would mean having one less thing on my pipe dream wish list.

Reply 27179 of 27446, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMO it gets it's "Least worst PC video standard of 87-88" title by having better colors than hercules, and better text and resolution than CGA.