VOGONS

First post, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I returned a bit to my old project started many years ago. It's SuperIO expander test board with W83627HF attached to LPC (via TPM header). The purpose was to bring back legacy peripherals like FDC, LPT and COM to relative modern MBs (that still has LPC but don't have this). You may use Google tran. or so... http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/lpc_sio.htm

I wrote some code that is able to do some minimal configuration of W83627HF and enable the FDC block. I attached a common 3,5" HD FDD and I'd like to test it. Problem is that on current MB (my main PC that I use) I don't have routed LDRQ# to TPM so FDC cannot use DMA. Also I'd like to make it more universal so it could work also on MBs that cannot reach LDRQ#...

I read that floppy can work in non-DMA mode where's only IRQ used for reading the incoming Bytes. Any PC faster than old PC-XT should handle it. I read that Linux floppy driver has option for non-DMA mode so this is the 1st thing I tried but it doesn't work as expected. I added kernel boot parameter "floppy=0,4,cmos nodma messages" and booted via linld.com from DOS just after I run my DOS utility that enabled the FDC in SuperIO. I got "Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M" in dmesg and also the /dev/fd0 block device. When I tried to mount without floppy inserted it did short seek sound, LED blinked and got an error:
[ 71.265686] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
[ 71.268236] floppy: error -5 while reading block 0
[ 71.295694] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
[ 71.298239] floppy: error -5 while reading block 0
Then I inserted a floppy and tried again. The motor started spinning and LED light on but it was endlessly spinning without head moves. I checked that interrupts (IRQ6) from FDC are comming in /proc/interrupts but mount was hanged and it required multiple CTR+ALT+DEL to kill it and shutdown properly...

Then I tried 2 suggested DOS utils: 765DEBUG 5.0 and ImageDisk 1.20. I have some success that I can move heads at desired positions but anytime I tried a read/write/format I got an "overrun error" Later I was pointed to source code of that utils and seen that both use DMA so it obviously couldn't work because DMA request ends in the nowhere so data never comes...

So I would need some working util (or maybe an OS) that handles floppy via PIO/IRQ and not DMA. If it would success it will be possible to write a TSR that will extend INT13h services for floppy routines so DOS and other programs that don't use FDC direct access could access it.
Note: also asked on http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=21513 but lead to nowhere...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 1 of 3, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FDC interrupts are time-critical. There is no FIFO there, you either fetch the byte in time as it comes or you just lost your sector read. Same with write.
Most modern OSes are optimized for multithreading, not interrupt latency. In other words these are not real-time control systems. You might think the CPU is fast enough but keep in mind any I/O on a modern system goes through layers of arbitration, starting with the OS kernel and ending with low-level bus access.

In ye olde days you could run Z80 CP/M system with non-DMA FDC, but:
- the CPU was basically in a tight loop a couple instructions long, polling the I/O (status and data registers, and _maybe_ a timeout counter)
- for single density media you'd need 4MHz but double density required shorter CPU cycles so 8MHz
- code would often not do any timeout checks (no spare cycles for that) and just hang if the transfer didn't come through completly
- interrupts might have to be disabled, sometimes the screen was blanked to prevent CRTC from stealing memory cycles

What you want to do might be possible in DOS, with fast enough CPU (but again keep in mind anything above Pentium is still limited by I/O bus speed), when there's just one program running and possibly minimal interrupts. But that is hardly connecting legacy devices to modern OS. For that you have to approach it like the USB floppy drives - there's a local MCU that can deal with the transfer timings and it presents itself to the OS as USB mass storage device. Even that might be hard to pull off with single-core MCU without dedicated logic for the "DMA" since USB also requires some reasonable latency, you can't be waiting in the sector loop and ignoring USB bus, the OS might not like it and kick you.

Reply 2 of 3, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm aware about this general problems but I intend primary use the floppy under DOS that is single thread and I could even disable interrupts and just polling. There already existed noDMA floppy implementations in some HP Omnibook so maybe that was reason why Linux implemented nodma in floppy driver. Btw Linux in not realtime as is without enabling some RT extensions...

Well, I found that I passed linux kernel cmdline parameters wrong way to linld.com.
it shouldn't be
"floppy=0,4,cmos nodma messages"
but
"floppy=0,4,cmos floppy=nodma floppy=messages"
Then linux booted really in PIO (noDMA) mode and I was finally able to mount and read floppies 😀 A lot of them thrown bunch of various errors in dmesg but some read/write without any error. So I tested that my superIO HW solution works. Now I'd like to make it work under DOS too. It would be a challenge to write a TSR for int13h extension that use floppy nodma code so other dos apps could use via bios services to access floppy in std. way.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 3 of 3, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to user Laaca who pointed me the right direction to a DOS FDC test utility that can run with and WITHOUT DMA!
https://github.com/joncampbell123/doslib/tree … aster/hw/floppy

I tried to run test.exe and for some reason it detected DMA 2 enabled by default but it can be disabled in the menu. Then I tried seeking and reading a sector but unfortunatelly it was very unreliable (for sure I tried with a floppy that I tested under Linux it reads OK without any errors). Sometimes I got simply "NDMA read failed -2 (d0h)" error and zero data. Sometimes it read a sector but not full. It usually reads a range of 450-510 bytes and it was messed up at first look (the strings in bootsector). Every read attempt got a different number of readed bytes and different content. I also tried to disable interrupt in the menu and tried again but nothing changed, same mess. So this code would do what I need but it's useless for real use. But still may be good as a reference alongside linux floppy driver to learn something from it. It would take some time...

http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/fd1.jpg
http://rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/fd2.jpg