VOGONS

First post, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I just repaired my SS7 motherboard with SIS chipsets & AMD K6-2 500 MHz Processor.
Replaced the BIOS IC (read-write error) and Clock IC (rusted pins)
This is the motherboard -
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zida-t530b-s

I am using a CF-IDE Adapter (single type) with a 2 GB CF-Card.
I kept everything auto in the BIOS.
Windows 98SE installation went smooth (tested multiple times).

When I try to install latest SIS IDE driver, it asks for which mode? PIO or DMA?
If I choose DMA, system hangs on reboot.

Only way to recover is enter in Safe Mode and reinstall the same driver setup with PIO mode.

Is there any way to overcome this issue?

Attachments

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 2 of 10, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting UDMA working is pretty important for a pleasant computing experience for hardware from that period.

Enabling UDMA requires cooperation between the IDE controller, the IDE Driver, and the IDE storage device. I'll assume you want to stick with your current onboard IDE controller. Which driver you are using? Are you able to try a different storage device?

Also, I see the note about the 80 conductor cable in your screen shots. If you are not using an IDE cable, you should consider doing a mod like this on your CF adapter after you get UDMA working: Re: UDMA 5 with DOM's & CF's

Reply 3 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-22, 13:24:

Getting UDMA working is pretty important for a pleasant computing experience for hardware from that period.

Enabling UDMA requires cooperation between the IDE controller, the IDE Driver, and the IDE storage device. I'll assume you want to stick with your current onboard IDE controller. Which driver you are using? Are you able to try a different storage device?

Also, I see the note about the 80 conductor cable in your screen shots. If you are not using an IDE cable, you should consider doing a mod like this on your CF adapter after you get UDMA working: Re: UDMA 5 with DOM's & CF's

Thanks for this great information.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 4 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-22, 13:24:

Fixed!
Thanks to douglar and andrea for the guide.

NOTE:

Use the 1st Driver else no OS boot! -
file.php?mode=view&id=191496

it no longer show as CF Card, rather GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 00 -
file.php?mode=view&id=191495

Attachments

Reply 5 of 10, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That’s great. That means Windows would be happy to store the page file on the CF Card. I wonder how long the CF Card would last with having Windows run on it with all the write to disk operations.

Reply 6 of 10, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zuldan wrote on 2024-04-23, 21:08:

That’s great. That means Windows would be happy to store the page file on the CF Card. I wonder how long the CF Card would last with having Windows run on it with all the write to disk operations.

Depends on the CF, the version of windows, amount of ram, your usage pattern, etc.

If you were using an “industrial cf”, Id expect it to last for quite a while.

If you are using windows 98, you should consider doing this:

http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-conservati … tions%20running.

Reply 7 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-24, 02:14:

If you are using windows 98, you should consider doing this:

http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-conservati … tions%20running.

Thanks for the tip.

Reply 8 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my Mod -

file.php?id=191544&mode=view

Reply 10 of 10, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-25, 02:08:

Nicely done!

With your guide....