VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree that using older versions of anything may not be a good idea. Two people with same issue with DHCP.exe made me think about:
newer BIOS versions with dropped micro code, newer video drivers that give worse performance/crashes, etc so was just a thought. As I said "(doubt that will help but can't hurt...)"

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kepak wrote on 2024-05-04, 12:33:

All utility software detects this card and i can change settings

This is a good sign and would seem to suggest more of a driver issue then hardware.

I'd probably stick with Win95 for troubleshooting, nice easy modorn-ish GUI
Which drivers are you using? I don't have any of the cards listed so can't give any known to work driver, but this here is a list for the complex card.

https://www.network-drivers.com/companies/237 … thx=9&bng=7&o=2

Also what are you using for a DHCP server. There have been some reports of newer devices not working with 10Mb cards.

Reply 22 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At this point, I suspect some weird incompatibility between that machine and NE2000-style cards.
It seems logical to try something completely different: 3Com, Intel, SMC...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 23 of 25, by kepak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2024-05-06, 05:37:

At this point, I suspect some weird incompatibility between that machine and NE2000-style cards.
It seems logical to try something completely different: 3Com, Intel, SMC...

I think the same at the begining of this thread. I decided not to buy another card, i just pass networking this PC.

Reply 25 of 25, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rwolf wrote on 2024-05-06, 12:30:

Do you have all voltages needed for that card on your ISA bus? Not sure what version you have of that card, TP or Coax?

Ethernet cards only need +5 V.
Yes, Coax transceivers need 9 V, but even this is provided from the +5 line, using a DC-DC converter.

Overall, if an SB-compatible sound card works, an Ethernet card should work as well.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.