VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since ever I heard of a multi-CD drive (you know, the drives which can take in multiple CDs), it always puzzled me why they exposed themselves to the system as multiple individual drives (e.g, E,F,G) instead of just one drive letter that can swap its contents.

What software scenarios would have benefited from the multi drive letters? Especially that the drive is only able to read from one disc at a time, so you can't -say- read a file from E: then another from F: then a third from E: again without having the drive actually change discs internally.

I always thought such drives were an answer to multi-disc CD games (e.g. Phantasmagoria, Wing Commamder).. but all such games require swapping the disc under the same drive letter, so basically those multi-CD drives are totally useless.

I wonder if they ever had an option to expose themselves as one drive letter to DOS/Windows?

Reply 1 of 1, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might've been for the perceived convenience? Changing discs within the same drive letter would've meant having either a control software (which on the developer side would need to be implemented for every supported OS, and on the user side would mean extra steps), or fumbling for physical buttons.

As for the multi-disc games - most of those drives I remember from a time waaay back where the majority titles were still single disc only so that would've barely been an issue yet. Most people would've been perfectly happy having their phone book CD, Encarta and their Tina Tuner album available without swapping, even if not at the same time. Have you checked the time frame of when your drives were released?