VOGONS

First post, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just curious if a software defined 3dfx graphics card would be possible. With all the enthusiasts in the community and all the really great hardware projects that are making old things new, this would be great! The last few years I have been picking up my old pc's right back to 386 machines and even further with my amiga 500. The one thing that I find so impressive is the way people are giving old functions back to old computers using new tech like the raspberry pi. Things like pico gus, and even on the amiga adding accelerators like the pistorm. It makes me wonder if someone out there has already started trying to make a software defined GPU for old pc's or if it's even possible. I mean wouldn't it be great to have a card you throw in your old retro machine and one minute you're gaming with a GeForce 2 the next your running a voodoo 3. Anyways just something I was curious about. I neither have the skills or knowledge to do it myself if it was even possible. I wanted to see if I was the only one that thought of this. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.
Ap43 Intel i486dx4-100 also have a amd am486dx2-66v16bcg.

Reply 1 of 10, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you include FPGA based solutions then this is the current state of the art. Using a custom interface that's as fast as the author knew how to make instead of emulating an existing one, giving you Quake 1 at 30 fps. Still a long way to go to reach GF2 territory.

Reply 4 of 10, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kingcake wrote on 2024-05-13, 02:20:

PCem and others already emulate 3dfx cards, don't they?

I thought the GLide wrappers were more of a "real-time translation" rather than true "hardware emulation through software".

Reply 5 of 10, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2024-05-13, 02:52:
kingcake wrote on 2024-05-13, 02:20:

PCem and others already emulate 3dfx cards, don't they?

I thought the GLide wrappers were more of a "real-time translation" rather than true "hardware emulation through software".

That makes sense.

Reply 6 of 10, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How's MAME's performance these days? Iirc they do everything, save for scaling the final image through OpenGL, in software, and I think they have a couple 3DFX-based boards too. I see that a Hydro Thunder ROM exists, but didn't find a single videos of this version running on YT so I don't think it's anywhere near playable? And of course that would assume you're able to somehow shove an entire modern PC inside your retro one, and ignores everything related to interfacing (to magick the necessary state from the "CPU machine" into the "SDR-GPU" one), i.e. it's an extremely naive best case scenario.

Reply 7 of 10, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya I have used PCEM. I was just curious if there was any new retro hardware on that level. I kinda thought that speed might be an issue to create something like that, but they are 20-25 year old gpus so thought we might have a solution.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.
Ap43 Intel i486dx4-100 also have a amd am486dx2-66v16bcg.

Reply 9 of 10, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-05-13, 17:43:

Instead of emulating a Voodoo, would it be more feasible to create a novel GPU that acts like one instead? Basically, something new that provides compatibility and glide support.

That would be a great solution.
Technically the challenges would be solvable and you may even get licenses for the ancient patents that are required.
It would be a special design PCB, a specially designed chip and low quantities of everything. It would surprise me if you could keep the cost under €200/$200.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 10 of 10, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2024-05-13, 21:11:
That would be a great solution. Technically the challenges would be solvable and you may even get licenses for the ancient paten […]
Show full quote
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-05-13, 17:43:

Instead of emulating a Voodoo, would it be more feasible to create a novel GPU that acts like one instead? Basically, something new that provides compatibility and glide support.

That would be a great solution.
Technically the challenges would be solvable and you may even get licenses for the ancient patents that are required.
It would be a special design PCB, a specially designed chip and low quantities of everything. It would surprise me if you could keep the cost under €200/$200.

Patents only last 20 years in the US and EU, so there's a chance there, but price per unit for the debugging cycles is going to sink you. Back in the day, 3dfx would make the hardware based on previous working designs and then they had the option of smoothing out any issues that show up later in the driver. Here, you are trying to fit new hardware a the driver, and that's a much more challenging task.