VOGONS

First post, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got one Migitronics TK-82C491/386-4N-D02C board with soldered Am80386DX-40 CPU, missing BIOS chip and no cache chips. The board is in pretty good visual condition (no broken traces, no battery leakage, clean and with no missing elements, except the BIOS and cache chips) and I thought - this will be one easy fix, a matter of new BIOS chip insertion plus some SRAMs for cache. And as always it turned out that things were much more complicated.

I grabbed one Winbond W27C512 (64 K x 8 ) EEPROM chip, burned the AMI BIOS dump from TRW site for this model motherboard, installed missing cache (one TAG SRAM chip (8 K x 8 - 12 ns) and four cache SRAM chips (32 K x 8 - 15 ns) for a maximum of 128 kB L1 onboard cache), installed 8 MB FP-RAM and some ISA VGA and I/O+ATA cards, set the jumpers according to ABIT AK-3/4 (similar board) "manual" from TRW site and some pictures of this model board, which I found online, and... system booted, but there are some problems.

The "turbo" jumper doesn't switch to 40 MHz mode and the board doesn't "see" any cache regardless of "external cache" setting in this AMI BIOS from TRW site.

I checked and traced with multimeter the TB-SW ("turbo swich") jumper traces on the PCB and everything seems OK with them - one of the TB-SW jumper's pin goes to ground and the other leads to pin 5 on the UM82C491 chipset chip, which is labeled "TURBO" in the datasheet. So, the culprit for the missing "turbo" mode i.e. 40 MHz for the CPU isn't the TB-SW jumper itself.

Also changed and tested total of 16 known good and tested SRAM 32 K x 8 chips for cache and two known good and tested SRAM 8 K x 8 ships for cache's TAG RAM in different combinations, but the board still doesn't "see" any cache.

I also tried all the AMI BIOS ("3umm002.bin" - this one is identical to TRW's dump for Magnitronics TK-82C491 board; "3umm003.bin"; "3umm005.bin"; "3umm006.bin"; "3umm007.bin" and "4umm002.bin") and Award BIOS ("3umw001.bin" - identical to TRW's dump for Abit AK-3/4; "3umw002.bin"; "3umw003.bin" and "3umw004.bin") dumps for 386/486 UMC chipset from this site and the board refuses to boot with all of the Award and some of these AMI BIOSes. Also tried the Abit AK3/4 Award BIOS from TRW and as expected the mobo doesn't boot at all. One of these BIOS dump files ("3umm002") was binary identical to the one from the TRW, which makes me think that the original BIOS for this motherboard is untraceable on the internet.

With some of the tested AMI BIOS dumps the board does boot, works in "non-turbo" mode and when I short/close "turbo" jumper the system hangs.

I think I've tried enough combinations of BIOS dumps and SRAM chips, but still no luck with this mobo. It just refuses to work in "turbo" mode and to use any onboard cache.

Please, if someone owns Migitronics TK-82C491/386-4N-D02C motherboard to upload here a dump file of its original BIOS. Thank you!

P.S. Or maybe I have to try some MR BIOS dump, but I don't know which one.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 1 of 1, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if these settings are OK for this moatherboard, since there is no info on the internet. I set the jumpers according to "manual" for Abit AK-3/4 from TRW site:

jumper_settings.JPG
Filename
jumper_settings.JPG
File size
76.15 KiB
Views
File comment
jumper settings
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

JP1 seems to set if there is FPU installed. JP7 sets bus frequency - 33 or 40 MHz. JP8 - no info.

And this is configuration of the SRAM cache chips I used for testing with 128 kB of cache:

cache.JPG
Filename
cache.JPG
File size
66.6 KiB
Views
File comment
cache & cache settiongs
File license

According to Abit AK-3/4's "manual" JP3, JP4 and JP5 have to be shorted/closed if 128 kB of cache is installed.

Edit: And here is the TB-SW ("turbo" switch) jumper traces that I've checked (excuse my painbrush-ish drawing skills):

TB-SW_traces.JPG
Filename
TB-SW_traces.JPG
File size
78.75 KiB
Views
File comment
"turbo" swith jumper traces
File license

"G" is ground connection, "C" is connection to some tantalum capacitor, "R" is some resistor.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"