VOGONS

3.5" floppy rpm problem

Topic actions

First post, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Sony HD 3.5″ floppy drive. It isn't reading properly and IMD shows the rpm to be 150-200.

Model is a MPF920-E

I dismantled the drive and there was a sticky ‘goo’ on the bottom of the inner ring that sits inside the spindle assembly directly next to the direct drive magnets.

I cleaned it off, I think quite well, with IPA and cotton buds but the drive seems to be even stiffer and now struggles to spin at all.

I've added new grease which hasn't helped.

It feels like something grinds - as though the rotating part is to low on the spindle but there is no washer/c-clip etc.

it's almost as if the rotor should be 1mm higher than it is but there is no way to effect that.

thanks!

Thanks!

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 1 of 2, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a long shot, but I have encountered 3.5" drives that were in very dirty industrial environments where lots of grinding/sanding/drilling of metal happened. And the fine metal debris that got sucked into the case found it's way into the direct drive motor due to the magnets.

Reply 2 of 2, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some photos would help. Common failure points of the spindle (other than too much dirt) are the ceramic resonator and electrolytic caps on that sub-PCB. If the resonator dies the motor won't even start but unstable frequency (which too can be caused by dirt or corrosion) will cause RPM deviation. The caps usually leak, and corrode nearby stuff, but sometimes also dry out without any external signs. It's often possible to tack a temporary cap on the back to see if it helps any, before commiting to desoldering.