VOGONS

First post, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had plenty of experience with slowly dying motherboards with intermittent POST problems that get worse and worse until they no longer turn on.
I've also had one mobo that died a sudden electrical death and would not show any signs of life at all.

However the current experience is new to me.

P5Q PRO with QX9650 CPU, GTX660GPU, 8GB DDR2 RAM.
Was having intermittent POST/freeze problems, but not so frequently. Generally could work for days and multiple suspend/resume cycles without freezing.
One day system restarted in the middle of work - Not typical behavior; Clue #1?

Never POSTed once since then. Symptoms are like this:
Push power button, the board turns on - fans, lights start, drives get power (blinking optical LEDs, hard drive start-up noises), and nothing.
No POST beep, nothing on screen.

So far this is what I'm used to with dying boards, but here's what different this time:
In this state, the board does not respond to ANYTHING. Not the reset button (which normally triggers a visible response from the optical drive LEDs at least), not the power button, not even a long power button push. The only way to turn it off is to switch off the PSU.

Tried the usual things - remove some/all RAM, change RAM slots, remove/change GPU - no change.
No beep codes that one would expect when started without RAM either.

It is as if the system stays in permanent reset state. The kind of behavior that I would expect if, for example, the reset switch was stuck or the reset pins were shorted. However, this does not appear to be the case (checked the button, the pins, and even started the board outside the case).

Tried a different, known good power supply as well. Same behavior.

I do not have a different compatible CPU at the moment. I might have a PCI POST card somewhere. If I can find it, I'll see if I can get any POST code at all.

Any ideas on what can cause this particular "stuck in reset"-like behavior?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to have misplaced that POST card, and simple surface cleaning of the board yielded no improvement. Nothing looks visible broken.

Temporarily revived the system using a spare G41M-ES2L board I've had (which proves that the CPU is not faulty).
My ICH10 SATA was configured to AHCI, and ICH7 is IDE only, so had to do the usual trick of offline registry editing to enable the intelide service on startup and avoid stop 0x7B.

This board also limits me to 4GB (since there are only 2 DDR2 slots), not enough PCIe slots for my USB 3.0 card, fewer USB2.0 ports, and of course, IDE instead of AHCI. So I do want to continue debugging that ICH10/P45 board. Or give that up and start hunting for a deal for a working used one. We'll see.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got around to connecting that PCI POST Diagnostic Card (see image).

As soon as I push the power button, the CLK and 00 POST code come up; the RST LED comes up approximately 0.25-0.5 seconds later and stays.
It happens regardless of whether any RAM/GPU/CPU is connected.

If I understand the reading, it confirms that the board is stuck in a reset state. The questions are - (1) why and (2) can something be done about it.

Reply 3 of 4, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

cr2032 ?
Some motherboards do not respond well to a dead battery.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, inactive for 216 days? Well, I've certainly been lazy about debugging this board. However, I can confirm that changing the CR2032 had no effect.
I wonder if some advice from this thread can be relevant, even though the boards are several generations apart, and I can't see any bulging caps on mine.