VOGONS

First post, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to get my Zeos 486dx up and running. It came with no hard drive. I have tried SD Card/IDE adapters, CF/IDE adapters, 2 working hard disks (1994)....all different size formats - 250mb, 512mb, 850mb, 1gb, 2gb (and others.) I can partition the drives from FDISK (SD and CF), but whenever I go to format the drives, I encounter an error to format the C Drive. If I try to format in the DOS setup, it gives me an error to read and write to C Drive. The hard disks that are already formatted into FAT and working with DOS run fine (formatted from another old 486), but whenever I try and install Win95 or ANYTHING, I get an error to read and write to C Drive.

At this point, it can't possibly be a hard drive issue, considering some of the formatted hard disks that are up and running still won't read and write. I have tried new cables and new RAM. The only thing that it might be an issue is that my BIOS doesn't have a lot of options (Phoenix 1.0) for the RAM. According to the Zeos computer guide for my computer, the Bios should automatically detect it. I'm leaning that it is a RAM issue, or maybe I just have a dud motherboard. I got a few suggestions about DDOs; I don't know much about them, but I am looking into this now, though I'm not sure how it will help considering my drive sizes are still small and this seems like a hardware issue.

Any input into this would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the IO controller on board or seperate?

Last edited by ux-3 on 2024-05-21, 18:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 2 of 8, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-21, 16:01:

Ist the IO controller on board or seperate?

Honestly, I'm not familiar with the IO Controller. Where is it at on the motherboard? Pretty much everything is on the board except the addition of the graphics, sound card, and ram that's inserted into the slots.

Reply 3 of 8, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I added the diagram.

Reply 4 of 8, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your HDD is hooked up to the primary IDE drive connector?

Does the Bios show your HDD?

Is one of the pins on the IDE connector on board bend flat perhaps?

Last edited by ux-3 on 2024-05-21, 18:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 5 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damaged IDE cable or overclocked ISA could cause these problems. What exactly is this "486DX"?

Reply 6 of 8, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-05-21, 17:42:

Your HDD is hooked up to the primary IDE drive connector?

Does the Bios show your HDD?

Is one of the pins on the IDE connector on board bend flat perhaps?

My HDD is hooked up to the primary IDE and bios does show the HDD. I have checked the pins on the IDE connector; all good there. The board is fine too. I did have to swap out a new cable for my floppy drive because that cable was faulty. It's right next to the primary IDE HDD connector on the motherboard. I did try and swap the original IDE HDD cable, it made no difference.

Reply 7 of 8, by kaolinitedreams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2024-05-21, 17:47:

Damaged IDE cable or overclocked ISA could cause these problems. What exactly is this "486DX"?

I have tried a new IDE cable in lieu of the original (several in fact.) It didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't considered an overclocked ISA. It's a Zeos 486dx.

Reply 8 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not familiar with that line of computers so Zeos 486dx doesn't tell me much. What clock? 25 or 33 MHz? Or is it a DX2? Are there any clock related settings in the BIOS (including ISA clock) and what about RAM and perhaps cache waitstates? You need to make sure everything is in spec and not overclocked. BTW this mobo seems to have a 2nd IDE channel and even a SCSI port (assuming the chip socket is populated) - did you try those? You might have to boot from a floppy or a pre-made system and try to avoid writes if the mobo can't boot from the 2nd IDE channel.