VOGONS

First post, by TisellM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I've got an IBM Aptiva 2144-121.
It boots fine from floppy and the original hard disk.

However, I've installed an cf card and I'm currently trying to install MS-DOS 6.22 on it.

I can format the card and write data to it, DOS install just fine. But when I've finished installing and try to boot from the card I just get a blinking cursor...
I've looked trough the bios and can't see any settings that seems to be wrong.

Do you have any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 3, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you do a fdisk /mbr?

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good question VivienM! Yes CF are becoming more common as a HD replacement in older computers but they do have their own quirks, incompatibilities and it is not just the CF card but the adapter....so 2X problems...
Sorry have nothing more to add other than what is wrong with the original HD ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found with other systems that kind of randomly some CF cards will work, and others not. Same adapter and same sizes, but some just won't get recognised by older BIOSes when they do with others.

I've heard this might be down to newer CF cards not always fully implementing commands that were dropped in later revisions of the CF spec, or something like that? So, try and older CF card, especially one marketed as "industrial"?