VOGONS

First post, by RealNorstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I recently got this STB Sound Rage 32 with an AMD Interwave chip.

Now I want to know what it can do, but I don't even find reliable basic information about this card.

While some websites claim this would be a GUS PnP clone, it very obviously lacks the option to expand the memory, and as far as I can tell, it has either 512K or 1 MB RAM or ROM on board.

But if it isn't a GUS PnP clone, what is the purpose of using that Interwave chip in the first place? Is there any way I can use this card to play games or listen to tracker music using the Gravis Ultrasound sound option?

And if not: what *is* the use case for this card?

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

images I found the web show that there is no ram installed on this, just the 1mb rom bank
this card was probably made for windows environment - you would have a 1mb wavatable midi device, pcm playback/record and joystick interface
ram is needed to upload better banks (under windows) or gus classic compatibility
I believe I have seen someone adding ram to this board - it would certainly make it useful under DOS for gus classic stuff

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by RealNorstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, so basically it's just a wavetable sound card with the ability to sound like a low quality GUS PnP would when playing GM music (provided the GUS didn't load high quality samples despite being able to)?
I mean it's still kinda cool, but I had hoped to be able to get GUS compatibility here, so would be really cool if there was a way to upgrade the board.
The PCB definitely looks like there are intended spaces for 2 ICs, maybe a RAM and some kind of controller?

STB-Soundrage-32-1.jpg

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am almost certain that adding a SOJ40 dram chip on the empty space at U8 will add some ram to the card
if you find a 512kb x16 chip then you will get 1mb of ram and it will be enough for DOS gus classic stuff
but I do not have such a card so there is always the chance it won't work - maybe someone else already did this and can chime in

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by RealNorstein

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The manual shows a socket where that empty space at U8 is, and the initializing program offers to load either a 4MB or 1MB sound set, so maybe even a bigger capacity might work? Or maybe they just didn't bother to make the initializer different from this card's bigger brother, the Pro version with a SIMM socket.

Reply 5 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably the same initialisation program on both 😀

Here's how you can put 1MB of RAM on a similar interwave: Upgrading Philips PCA761AW / AMD Interwave 'GuS Clone' to 1MB RAM
You'd need to install a socket, stack up 2x 256k x 16 soj-40 chips on all pins except for the CAS (UCAS/LCAS) lines on the top chip. Then run the chip select lines from the top to the two un-used bank select pins on the chip, probably 97 & 98 but you should check on your card to be sure.

Reply 6 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks janky as hell..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-05-24, 14:53:

That looks janky as hell..

Yeah I re-did the wiring later with thinner enamel wire and cleaned the flux up, it looks better now.

Sadly going over 512KB of RAM on Interwave cards without a SIMM slot does require some janky mods 😜
It'd need a new PCB though to have more than 1MB with designs that only have a footprint for an SOJ-40 chip