VOGONS

AMR slot can I add one?

Topic actions

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a mobo that is missing this slot, it seems to have most of (if not all) the SMD that is related to it, could I just solder one in?

Where do I get such a slot? What is its techincal name?

Did anything cool come out for that slot? Any good audio cards?

Were they real cards or just extensions of the onboard audio?

I just don’t like having non installed slots 🤣, sets off my OCD haha

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 6, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-05-26, 02:15:
I have a mobo that is missing this slot, it seems to have most of (if not all) the SMD that is related to it, could I just solde […]
Show full quote

I have a mobo that is missing this slot, it seems to have most of (if not all) the SMD that is related to it, could I just solder one in?

Where do I get such a slot? What is its techincal name?

Did anything cool come out for that slot? Any good audio cards?

Were they real cards or just extensions of the onboard audio?

I just don’t like having non installed slots 🤣, sets off my OCD haha

Nothing worth your time to solder a connector. You will be disappointed that you will never get that time back. AMR is for HSP devices. (Host signal processing) It's basically like an AC97 codec interface for soft modems and very basic sound devices.

Reply 2 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been fooling with and building computers since late 2000 and I've never had or used any AMR device.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMR, ACR and CNR were mainly used for modems. This way you could (sort of) integrate the modem onto the motherboard without having to submit the board for FCC certification after every BIOS upgrade.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not worth the effort to add these slots, it was only used on dial-up modems in practice.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the 'tism too about slots and don't like empty ones. So I have my one rig that has one with a modem.

They are technically audio modem riser, and the Intel specification for them only has specifications for audio and modems. With a quick search I couldn't even find an audio device that was made. I just filled it with a modem for looks.

Someone was thinking about using the slot for a software-defined radio so that is technically possible I guess.

Reply 6 of 6, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
demiurge wrote on 2024-05-26, 04:46:

I have the 'tism too about slots and don't like empty ones. So I have my one rig that has one with a modem.

They are technically audio modem riser, and the Intel specification for them only has specifications for audio and modems. With a quick search I couldn't even find an audio device that was made. I just filled it with a modem for looks.

Someone was thinking about using the slot for a software-defined radio so that is technically possible I guess.

It's basically all software defined host signal processing. It's just like a codec bus for ADC/DAC stuff. The Intel High Definition Audio bus is a modern version of that.